BuddyDev

Search

Inviting Ideas for the best ever WordPress Gallery Plugin

• Participant
    Level: Master
    Venutius on #860

I’d also like to see some shortcodes that give we the option of loading media galleries/latest images into a page. PRetty much to replicate what the widgets do but give a grid view of say the last 12 images loaded into the galleries. Possibly a featured media shortcode that allows me to select four of my favourite items to display to members

• Participant
    Venutius on #862

What I might prefer would be a shortcode that displays a large slider of the most recently added media items, photo’s really.

Also, I would like to see a user profile widget that the user can set up to display their personal images and media items as a way of providing user profile customisations

• Participant
    Venutius on #866

I think the video gallery should also include the feature to add Youtube and other video hosting providers links. The video gallery is a place for people to share and comment on videos of all formats, in my experience 99/5 of people upload their videos to youtube or similar and then post these links to social sites for discussion. I’d like my video galleries to include this as an option.

• Participant
    Venutius on #877

Another suggestion is for the ability to load a cover image for Audio and video files.

• Participant
    Level: Initiated
    Nauti Admin on #878

Have sites that uses foobox sitewide and want the method to only load foobox, or for that matter have the ability to pick a lightboox would be an extraordinary option.

Loading another lightbox breaks the consistent look of the site in this case.

Which leads to another question, we would like the ability for justified image grid for galleries – I could make another post for that.

These are the very finest in Image plugins I know of. If you need a login to my site to test and play let me know!
    Refs:
    http://fooplugins.com/plugins/foobox/
    http://justifiedgrid.com/preset-2-authors-favorite/

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #894

Hi George, Nauti,
    Thank you for the suggestions.

@venutius
    1. All the photos/videos are available in the WordPress Media screen, so yes, you can insert them in posts if you want too. I need some suggestions here, should we add a tab on the media model and filter out all MediaPress media files there, so when inserting from admin a user knows he/she is using MediaPress files.

Shortcode is available
    [mpp-show-galler id=”some gallery id” view=”some view”] where view is optional and can be any registered view. By default, MediaPress comes with 3 views(grid is default, list(for all media type) or playlist(only for audio video))

There are other generic shortcodes too( [mpp-media] that will allow including all media types not just from a given gallery.

I am almost working on a shortcode UI to allow you directly inserting it from edit screen( It may have to wait for phase 2 though)

I have tested a few sliders view and I am happy to report that they work for shortcodes/single gallery/activity attached media. I do plan to release a few soon( atleast after 8-10 days from now). Before that , I just want to concentrate on the platform.

The good news is, A developer can register any new type of view for any specific gallery/section. I added that API last week and It is easy. So yes, There will be views( slides,accordion, grid, justified grid) and a lot of them.

I am also planning to post a tutorial, to enable other create views for various galleries etc.

@nautinz

Thank you for the suggestions.
    MediaPress is not hard coded for any specific lightbox. I am not a fan of including the lightbox with MediaPress( because I believe why not use the existing one just like you). I have added the lightbox in a manner that you can disable loading it.

I am going to add support for atleast 15 most popular WordPress lightbox( It will be just 5-10 lines of code for each) solutions.

Justified grid has been on my list, the only reason I haven’t yet supported it is we have almost square images and we need to give site admins the flexibility to choose the size first( A programmer can do it right now by using mpp_register_media_size() ), once we allow site admins, then justified gallery will be a good things to support. Otherwise, if all images are of same size, justified gallery support is not going to make much sense.

Please do keep the ideas coming 🙂

• Participant
    Venutius on #984

Hi Brajesh,

Got another idea for you – Allow group updates to include media.

Currently on activity updates the member can post media, however updates made to a group cannot. I think it would be very useful if members could post images in their group updates.

• Participant
    Venutius on #985

Another idea would be to allow users trying to post updates to the site to be able to pick from media that they have already uploaded to the site, so that when they click on photo, their albums come up and they are able to search through them to find the image.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #986

Hi George,
    Thank you for the ideas.

A user can post the media with group updates. the only requirement is that the gallery should be turned on for the group. It has exactly same functionality as the user updates.

About 2nd Idea, picking the media:-
    1. How do we allow it. I am concerned about the User interface. I am against using any popup/modalbox as they make the things much more complex. If you can suggest a work flow, i will be happy to have it.

• Participant
    Venutius on #987

Ah yes, thet makes sense. However I think that you could do with changing the user interface. It’s just that the small square box is not exactly user friendly and many would miss that they have the option to upload photo’s from here. I think you should look at the dialogue around this to make it east for users to know what is happening. As it stands it is not intuitive. I suggests you have a test field by the square box saying add media, or better still the same image that is used on the site activity field. I also think one you have selected to add media that there is some wording to confirm what you are about to do, ie “Please choose an image to upload into your update”.

Regarding suggestion 2, I suggest that there is a “Pick from galleries” button, which takes you to a list of gallery and then to a gallery contents page with a selection box alongside each image. Then the user can select the media required and then click on “Insert into update”.

The topic ‘Inviting Ideas for the best ever WordPress Gallery Plugin’ is closed to new replies.

This topic is: not resolved