BuddyDev

Search

Generate preview from hyperlink

• Participant
    Level: Master
    Hugo Callens on #13578

When you insert a link to a web page in a Facebook post a preview of that page, with title, image and excerpt, is automatically created. It would be nice to have the same thing in BP activity streams. Is that possible?

• Keymaster
    Level: Yogi
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Ravi on #13580

Hello Hugo,

BuddyPress already do this thing when we post a URL into activity. When we submit the activity form then BuddyPress parse all the URL and shows embedded view for those URL.

Please try after deactivate all other plugins and switch to WordPress default theme. There might be chance that any plugin or theme modifying the default functionality.

Regards
    Ravi

• Participant
    Hugo Callens on #13581

I switched to default WP theme and deactivated all plugins except Buddypress. But still no preview appears…
    Also, when I post a link in http://demos.buddydev.com/community-builder/try/activity/ there isn’t a preview either.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Ravi on #13583

Hello Hugo,

Just check the link you post me. I have got this check the following screenshot.

https://www.awesomescreenshot.com/image/3196540/32ac1666a597d0ae92a200846b0cb6a1

Please point me to the site with some demo account details so that I can check and help you.

Regards
    Ravi

• Participant
    Hugo Callens on #13585
    This reply has been marked as private.
  • Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Ravi on #13586

Hello Hugo,

I have tested and found that URL you are referring does not support oembed feature. As it is not working on my development server as well. Currently, BuddyPress only supports sites which support oembed feature for the preview of page.

I don’t see a ready made solution for this. It may need custom development.

Thank You
    Ravi

• Participant
    Hugo Callens on #13587

Too bad.
    Though Facebook supports all kinds of sites in this matter.
    Definitely a Buddypress todo!
    Thanks for your research!

• This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by Hugo Callens.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This topic is: not resolved