BuddyDev

Search

[Resolved] Some issues with Mediapress

Tagged: 

• Participant
    Level: Enlightened
    Stephanie on #52632

Hello,

I am testing Mediapress and there are a few issues I need help resolving.

I have Buddypress Version 12.5.0 and WordPress Version 6.5.3.

1a. When the plugin is activated, there are several tabs available that the user can click on to edit their gallery, such as “Edit media” and “Edit details”. The problem is, when they are clicked, for me, that section of the page becomes blank. It also adds the name of whatever is clicked on to the breadcrumbs string, eg when clicking on “Edit details”, the breadcrumbs show “Bp_member_profile_edit” after “Your Galleries/Gallery Title/. Please see the screenshots here: (note: I named the gallery “Gallery Title” so I know where the title would show).
    https://ibb.co/3hnXQkq
    https://ibb.co/tZC5KyP

1b. Following from above, this also changes the URL slug of the page to whatever the breadcumb name is, to yourwebsite(.)com/members/talent/gallery/gallery-title/manage/bp_member_profile_edit/

The “Bp_member_profile_edit” showing does not look good at all, how can we change this?

2. When creating a gallery, you can add a gallery title and a gallery description but the description doesn’t actually show anywhere. Only the gallery title shows in the applicable places.

3. After activating the Mediapress plugin, you can see that whatever section of the settings is currently on the page, is sandwiched between opening square brackets, one on the top and one on the bottom. You can see it in the screenshots above that they are around the word “gallery” on the left hand side. If I click on “profile”, then they would the word “profile”.

• Keymaster
    Level: Yogi
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Ravi on #52659

Hello Stephanie,

Thank you for posting. We are aware of this issue and Mediapress is not fully compatible with BuddyPress 12.0+ versions. To make it work you need to install a plugin by the BuddyPress team “BP Classic”. We have raised a ticket regarding this issue on BuddyPress Trac you can check it here:

https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/9128

2. Showing Gallery description
    Please visit Dashboard > MediaPress > Settings > Theming > Display Settings and look for the settings with the name “Show Gallery description on single gallery pages?”. If this setting enables gallery description will show on a single gallery page.

3. Please share a screenshot I am not getting it.

Regards
    Ravi

• Participant
    Stephanie on #52662

Hello Ravi

Thank you for the quick reply.

Regarding the following issues:

1. I can confirm that for me, after installing and activating “BP Classic”, the breadcrumbs and URL issue is fixed.

2. I can confirm that doing this now shows the description of the galleries.

But, unrelated to this, I wanted to mention that the descriptions for the individual images only show if the “Do not show comments in lightbox” is set to “no” – it seems that descriptions show up as Comments. I have disabled commenting because I am using the site to show portfolios of work rather than for a social media site where people can comment on each other’s posts. Would be nice if the individual photo description is a description independent of the comments but I guess this is a perfectly fine workaround for anyone who couldn’t figure out why the descriptions for individual images aren’t showing in Mediapress.

3. In the screenshots I already uploaded, on the left side of the screen, you can see where it says “gallery” in yellow, directly above and below it there are these light grey things on the left of the word, that look like square brackets.

• Participant
    Stephanie on #52663

Also I would like to add two more things:
    4. the display image for each gallery is whatever the last image was, when the first batch of images was uploaded to that gallery. If I then add a new image later eg the next day and put it in the last position, the cover image does not change.

It would be nice if the the Gallery cover image could be chosen.

5. When logged in, in the “My Gallery” view, there are 4 buttons to click on, one is the name of the gallery, one says “view”, one says “upload” and one says “delete”. The first two, when clicked, goes to the exact same place, it goes to gallery page, sort of redundant. The slightly bigger issue I have is, the “upload” button takes you to a page where you can upload more images to that gallery. I would like the “upload” button to say “edit gallery” and lead to the edit option, not to the upload option, since users would intuitively look for an edit option first rather than an upload option.

Thank you

• Participant
    Stephanie on #52665

I can’t edit my previous posts so I am adding a new reply here. Regarding issue #3, whatever side menu item is currently activated, the brackets are around that. For example if I click on “Profile” the brackets will be around that, not necessarily around “Gallery”. And this only appears on vertical orientation layout such as on desktop browsers, on mobile the menu is displayed as tabs horizontally across the page directly under the profile picture so those brackets do not appear.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by Stephanie.
  • Keymaster
    Level: Yogi
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Ravi on #52683

Hello Stephanie,

1. I’m glad to know it is resolved.
    2. The description for media is shown on the Single media page if you have the settings enabled. If you are not using comments, disable lightbox and a user can view a single media page.
    3. Please contact your theme author, They can assist you better.
    4. We have made a plugin which allows gallery media to be set as the gallery cover. Please download and give it a try. You can download it here:
    https://github.com/mediapress/mpp-set-media-as-gallery-cover/archive/refs/heads/master.zip
    5. Place the following code in the “bp-custom.php” file. It will add a new link to the gallery and point to the edit gallery page.

add_filter( 'mpp_gallery_actions_links', function ( $joined_links, $links, $gallery ) {

if ( mpp_user_can_edit_gallery( $gallery->id, get_current_user_id() ) ) {
    		$joined_links = $joined_links . " " . sprintf( '<a href="%1$s" title="' . __( 'edit %2$s', 'mediapress' ) . '">%3$s</a>', mpp_get_gallery_management_url( $gallery ), mpp_get_gallery_title( $gallery ), __( 'edit', 'mediapress' ) );
    	}

return $joined_links;
    }, 10, 3 );

PS: To know more about what is bp-custom.php. check here: https://buddydev.com/docs/buddypress-guides/what-is-bp-custom-php/

Regards
    Ravi

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by Ravi.
  • Participant
    Stephanie on #52687

Hello Ravi,

Thank you for the reply. I have tested the plugin to upload a cover for the gallery and can cofirm it works, thank you very much for this, it is very useful. I have the following suggestion for it though:

#1 – It would be nice if the cover page upload process lets you crop the portion you want, as the gallery cover page is square and most photos are rectangular. At the moment it does not let you crop uploaded images.

#2 – Also, it would be nice if users have the option to choose an already uploaded image as the cover in case they want that as a cover image, this saves them from uploading the same picture twice as I am limiting the amount of space a user can have on my site.

A question: How may we know when there is a update for this plugin, or is that the way it is and won’t get updated?

Thanks again.
    Stephanie

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by Stephanie. Reason: Better formatting
  • Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #52695

Hi Stephanie,.
    Thank you for the reply.

I will be answering both the points.

1. I am sorry, the plugin does not have the ability to allow cropping by user. We do automatic generation of thumbnail. You may disable the cropping completely(for cover and all media) from the Dashboard->MediaPress->Settings->general screen.

2. The option is there. Please use this plugin.
    https://github.com/mediapress/mpp-set-media-as-gallery-cover

After activating it, Please visit Dashboard->MediaPress->Settings->Addons and update the options.

It will allow you to use existing media as cover.

3. About the plugin update:- It will appear in your Dashboard->Plugins pages as WordPress will notify you of future updates. The development is on hold currently as we are trying to find a path between BuddyPress Attachment and MediaPress and decide a path forward.

Regards
    Brajesh

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This topic is: resolved