Last week went into almost inactivity. I kept fighting with myself, and introspecting about the productivity issues I have been facing recently. Anyway, In the end, I just committed myself to be more active in future.
The past is gone, and I am concentrating on future now. So, here I present you the most advanced Facebook connect plugin for BuddyPress, I call it BuddyPress Facebook Connect+(plus)
- It allows seamless login/registration on BuddyPress site using Facebook as the authentication source
- It works with WordPress Multisite as well as WordPress Standard, with BuddyPress enabled.
- It allows Importing users Facebook data to BuddyPress profile
- Site Administrators Can map Facebook profile fields to BuddyPress profile fields
- Completely localized(not just BuddyPress, but also the Facebook connect sections are localized)
- It uses new Facebook api, so obviously It is very lightweight
So, the question you must be thinking is why is it advance or so called plus(+) or premium plugin? Right, This is the first of its kind which allows you to map the BuddyPress profile fields to Facebook profile data, that gives an extra advantage. Also, I don’t remember a Facebook connect plugin working very well with the multisite+Buddypress install. It also leaves a very small footprint in memory. And the use of localized version of Facebook login wizard(well, I haven’t seen any plugin doing that yet).
Let me start By Showing some screenshots.
Basic setting Screen:-
You can see the Settings screen for the plugin by Visiting Dashboard->BuddyPress->BuddyPress Facebook Connect+ as shown below
You will need to enter the Facebook App id and Facebook App secret for your website. Please see the documentation section on how to configure this plugin.
Mapping BuddyPress xprofile fields to Facebook Data
Once you are done with the configuration section, you can start mapping BuddyPress xprofile fields to available Facebook fields, as shown below
You should check the BuddyPress fields you want to import from Facebook and then select the appropriate Facebook field data which should be imported to that profile field of user. The Facebook profile fields are shown as the drop down as below
Some of the available Facebook fields are:- name, username, First name, last name, About the use, User bio on facebook, favorite quote, birthdate, school, Pass out year, School type, Hometown, current location, Work details(employer/position etc), Movies liked, books liked and many more.
here is a screenshot of Non localized version of Facebook Login wizard
The Facebook login wizard will be localized(a feature of Facebook internationalization), depending on your current locale(What you set for WordPress). For example, I changed the WPLANG in my wp-config.php to Dutch – Nederlands(nl_NL)
And here is my localized login button
and finally, the last feature of this plugin, it creates better usernames for the user logging in with Facebook. Nothing like the user124356566 or xyz. It first tries to check if the user’s Facebook username is available on the site, if yes, uses that. In future, It will use first name/last name combination or may be a prompt to user to allow selecting a username.
Download & Installation/Configuration:-
Please note this is a premium plugin and will be only available to the BuddyDev Premium members.
Hope It will help you all. Please do let me know if you find any issues or you have suggestions for the further improvement in the comments.
- Introducing Facebook Like User Activity Stream(Home activity feed) for BuddyPress Based Social Network
- Introducing BuddyPress Limit Friendship Plugin: Limit Number of Friends or Friendship requests on BuddyPress based social network
- Introducing BuddyPress Multi Network Plugin: Create Multiple separate Social networks on a single BuddyPress Install
- Auto Login the user after account Activation On BuddyPress Based Social Networks
- Introducing BuddyPress Limit Friendship Request Plugin: Rate limit the friendship requests on your Social Network