Remove /blog slug plugin for wpmu allows you to remove /blog slug from the sub directory install of your wordpress mu or wordpress 3.0 multisite.
In the sub directory style install of wpmu, ‘/blog’ is added to the permalink structure, category base and tag base for default blog(or main blog).
Removing it is quiet easy. If you don’t wish your posts to have url like http://yoursite.com/blog/somepost-goes-here and want it to look like say http://yoursite.com/somepost-goes-here, I have an easy solution for you.
here is my plugin Remove /blog Slug which I actually released on my other blog ThinkingInWordpress.com a few months ago.
Now this will be the official home for this plugin and I will be providing updates and support via this post/buddydev forum only.
Click here to download Remove ‘/blog’ slug plugin for wordpress Mu v1.1
Version 1.1 is tested with wp3.0 multisite.
1. Download the plugin Remove ‘/blog’ slug plugin for wordpress Mu if you have yet not downloaded it.
2. Install it as any other plugin. You may upload to wp-content/plugins or just use plugin installer to upload and install it.
3.Go to Dashboard->Plugins(Installed plugins)
4. Activate “Remove /blog slug plugin for wpmu”
5. Go to Settings->Permalink
6. Copy your current permalink and then change something in permalink, save it. Now put your old permalink and save again.(See, you have to save it twice, we are just forcing wordpress to update the permalink structure by changing it, if you don’t change, the permalink is not saved, so It will not work. To get over it, we change it to something else, then save and then revert back to the original structure)
7. Go and check your posts now,they will have no “/blog/” slug anymore.
I have tested it with wordpress Mu 2.8.6, but I hope it should work fine with other versions too. I even tested it on a buddypress+wpmu installation and it just works fine.
Let me know how it went with you. Any suggestions/improvements ?
- Remove Buddypress admin bar from all blog except the main buddypress site
- Limit Blogs per User plugin for wpmu Updated
- Disable Blog Posts and new Blog Comments recording/tracking In the activity by BuddyPress
- Fixing Posts Showing 404 error after Fresh wpmu Install
- Introducing Join Blog Widget for WordPress Multisite