BuddyPress Xprofile Custom Field Types plugin adds some essential profile field types to BuddyPress. The new BuddyPress custom profile fields allow you to provide more flexibility to your users.
BuddyPress Custom Xprofile Fields:-
- Birthdate/Age:- Allows users to select a date and show it as age/date.
- Checkbox Acceptance:- Want to get users' consent on something. Use this as the terms box.
- From/To Value:- Can be used to show 2 numbers or text strings.
- Image field:- Let users upload/add images on their profile.
- File Field:- Allows users to add files to their profile field.
- Token:- Allows to pre-define a set of values and only accepts them.
- oEmbed:- Allows using videos or any embed supported content.
- Post Type Selector:- Let users select a post and show it on their profile.
- Multi Post Types Selector:- Lets user select multiple posts and shows it on their BuddyPress Profile.
- Taxonomy Selector:- Allows users to select a term and show it on their profile.
- Multi Taxonomy selector:- Allows users to show multiple terms on their profile. Optionally, You can also allow users to create new terms.
- Email:- Let users add a valid email to the profile.
- Color:- Let users choose a color and show it.
- Date selector:- Honestly, you don't need it. It is for backward compatibility with the BuddyPress Xprofile Custom Fields Type plugin.
- Slider:- Allow users to select values within a range using the range slider.
- Min Max Xprofile field:- This allows you to force users to add a value between the given min/max range.
- Decimal:- Allow users to select a decimal value.
- Web:- It is the same as the BuddyPress URL field.
- Country Field:- Let's you have a country drop down field.
- Visit to dashboard->Plugins->Add New
- Search for "BuddyPress Xprofile Custom Field Types"
- Click Install, and activate it after installation.
Adding New Profile Fields:-
Please visit `dashboard->Users->Profile Fields
- Add New Field
- Select a field type(from Custom Fields)
- If the field has options, please update the options and save.
- Have fun or you may want to visit the profile edit section to test it.
Deleting and existing Field:-
- Visit Dashboard->Users->Profile Fields
Migrating from BuddyPress Xprofile Custom Fields Type:-
The main noticeable difference for site admins between these plugins is how we store the field preferences. In our version, we are storing the settings in the meta field. The original version(not ours), stored in the child options which was a bad choice.
In order to migrate:-
- Make sure to take a backup of your database.
- Only the following field types need to be updated:- Birthdate, Checkbox Acceptance, Slider, Min-Max, Post Type, Multi Post Types, Taxonomy, Multi taxonomy, Decimal. All these fields will lose old settings.
- Visit your profile Fields Screen, and for each of the above field types, Note down the settings.
- Now either disable or remove the old BuddyPress Xprofile Custom Fields Type plugin and activate ours.
- Visit the Edit field page in the admin for each of the above field types.
- Update the settings as required.
- That's it.
Frequently Asked a question:-
How much credit to the original plugin?
For inspiration 95%(or give 100%), for code 30%(I might deduct some more).
How is this plugin better?
I may misguide you, why not enlighten yourself by looking at the code. The lights of your IDE should guide you to the right choice.
What did you do to the original plugin's field type:-
Added some power punch and revived it. They are better, stronger, and are here to become your friend(again). Also, I can promise that they are going to live longer now.
Is this a new plugin or just an update of the BuddyPress Xprofile Fields Type:-
At the moment, It is a completely new rewrite and a whole new structure. It still keeps the old field types for backward compatibility.
What is the future of this plugin?
Don't ask me, ask the Oracle. If I have to predict, the future looks promising to me.
Why the fields are the same as the older plugin:-
It is to provide backward compatibility dear Watson. Will you like your users to get mad at you? I thought otherwise.
Why the migration headache?
A wise mine once said that the pain makes you stronger. In this case, It will make your website stronger and more resilient.
If I migrate, will users' data be lost?
Nope. We do not want you to look bad to your members. After all, if you are using our plugin, you are a part of the family(extended maybe). No user data will be lost in migration.
What is the minimum PHP version required:-
PHP 5.3. Anything below it is bad for the health of your site. Also, you should consider upgrading to PHP 7(.1,.2 whatever).
When will you add support for BP Profile search:-
As promised, We have added support for the BP Profile Search plugin. BuddyPress Xprofile Custom Field Types 1.0.3 added support for the BP Profile Search plugin.
Any other comments:-
Yes. I believe the field types color, date picker, Web are unnecessary types in this plugin. They are either not that great(someone should make BuddyPress great again) or have a better alternative in BuddyPress core. Also, if there is anything good in this plugin, I will gladly take all the credit. If there is something bad, let us find someone else to blame.
Where do I get support:-
If you can, buy a membership and use our premium forums. If you can't, no problem. Use our community forums.