BuddyPress Friends Suggestion Pro helps you enhance your BuddyPress or BuddyBoss Platform based social network by providing friends and follow suggestions for your users.
If you are looking for a friends suggestions widget similar to Facebook's "People you may know " widget, this plugin is a suitable choice for you. You can create suggestions based on user profile data.
The plugin provides you options to create one or more rule set for matching. Each profile matching rule set can have one or more rule based on user profile field data. The plugin suggests friends/followers by matching current logged user's profile data with the other user's profile data.
- Multiple friends suggestions list based on BuddyPress or BuddyBoss user profile data.
- Multiple Follow suggestions list based on BuddyPress or BuddyBoss user profile data. For BuddyPress, you will need BuddyPress Follow plugin.
- Can be used to show one or more Friends or Follow suggestions list in a widget for the logged in user.
- You can create any number of match rule set and use it in the widget
- Each rule set may contain multiple matching conditions. You can use various operator to declare how to match.
- You can specify how to consider a match(should we consider a match if all the conditions match or any one condition match)
- It works with BuddyPress & BuddyBoss platform well.
Friends and Follow suggestions list for BuddyPress:-
Friends and Follow suggestions list for BuddyBoss platform and theme:-
How to use:-
In order to display suggestion, you will need to first create rule and then use these rules in the widget.
Creating Friends/Follow suggestions Rules:-
- Please Login to dashboard as site administrator
- Visit Dashboard->Users-><Friends Suggestions Rules
- Click on "Add New"
- Add One or more rules from the page. Select "Enabled" in the right and "Publish" the rule as shown in the below screenshot.
Showing the Friends/Follow suggestions in a widget:-
- Please visit Dashboard->Appearance->Widgets
- Add "BP Friends Suggestion Pro" to your widget area
- Add a title, select "Follow or Friends" from the dropdown and select the ruleset to be used
- Save and that's it.
- Have fun. Here is a screenshot of the widget options.
Frequently Asked Questions:-
Can I create multiple suggestions list?
Yes, You can create as many suggestions list as you want.
Can I show suggestions for Friends & follow both
Yes, you can show suggestions for friends and follow both. You can specify a ruleset and suggestion type in the widget. In order to show Friends an Follow suggestions, you should use two widgets , one with "Friends" suggestions and another with Follow suggestion.
I do not see the suggestion type dropdown(Friends/Follow) in the widget?
The dropdown is only available f both Friends and follow are enabled. If you are using BuddyBoss platform, Please make sure "Follow" is enabled. If you are using BuddyPress, Please make sure you are using BuddyPress Follow plugin.
Does it work with BuddyPress Legacy & BuddyPress Nouveau template packs?
Yes, It works with both.
Does it work with BuddyBoss Theme?
Yes, it works nicely with the BuddyBoss theme.
Is there a limit on number of rules/conditions I should use for a ruleset?
There is no limit. But we do not recommend using more than 4 conditions. Profile data search is an expensive operation and keeping the number of conditions low improves the speed. We do cache the ersults for an hours to further save the resources.
I have updated rule but suggestions are not changing?
We cache the suggestions for an hour for a user for a specific rule set. When you update this rule set, the suggestions cache for the user is not cleared. The changes will be only visible after the current cache expires.
How to force update suggested friends/followers list after a rule change:-
Suggestions cache for a user is cleared when:-
- users profile data is updated, the cache is cleared and the list is rebuilt.
- A user adds another user as friend.
- A user cancels a friendship.
- A user follows another user.
- A user unfollows other user.
Another option to globally clear the cache is by creating a new rule set and using this new rule set in the widget. Since the suggestions are cached based on user and rule set, replacing rule set forces rebuilding of the suggestions list.