BuddyDev

Search

Added BuddyPress/BuddyBoss Member Types and MemberPress Membership Types to

• Participant
    Level: Initiated
    Kenneth Hurley on #40618

I’ve added some code to the plugin for BuddyPress and Memberpress.

Does the team want to include the code changes?

If so please let me know how to submit them

• Participant
    Level: Initiated
    Kenneth Hurley on #40622

Brajesh Singh,

I’ve added a private repo on github with the new code. I’ve invited you to look at the code. If your code was public, I would have forked and done a pull/merge request.

In general I am thinking about making the code public on Github, as it is GPLv2 and above and as such that licenses requires that you provide the source code to the public if you’ve made modifications which I did.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #40623

Hi Kenneth,
    Thank you for the update.

Please do know that it is a commercially supported GPL plugin and you are free to do whatever you want to do with it(including making it public) but we will not be providing any support for it.

Also, we do not think it is good for our business if someone purchases our commercial plugins and puts them for free to the public with a few minor changes. Tough we won’t stop you as we have licensed our plugins(until now as GPL) to allow unlimited site usage for the members(most of the commercial plugins limit this).

There is no such requirement in GPL that if you make a change you have to make it available to everyone for free. With that logic, Redhat should have been free as well as all the personal mods to red hat by many companies should have been available to all.

Please see this
    https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html#GPLRequireSourcePostedPublic

Does the GPL require that source code of modified versions be posted to the public? (#GPLRequireSourcePostedPublic)
    The GPL does not require you to release your modified version, or any part of it. You are free to make modifications and use them privately, without ever releasing them. This applies to organizations (including companies), too; an organization can make a modified version and use it internally without ever releasing it outside the organization.

But if you release the modified version to the public in some way, the GPL requires you to make the modified source code available to the program’s users, under the GPL.

Thus, the GPL gives permission to release the modified program in certain ways, and not in other ways; but the decision of whether to release it is up to you.

If you release it to public, Please make sure to remove all links to our site and documentation.

Thank you
    Brajesh

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This topic is: not resolved