BuddyDev

Search

Adding excerpts to BuddyBoss forum page?

• Participant
    Level: Enlightened
    Mark Winstein on #42875

I’m a member of Membership Academy. Their discussion forums show text excerpts under the title as well as for each forum topic.

I’ve tried to add text excerpts to the title and forum topics in our own forums in the BuddyBoss theme, but I can’t find a way to do that. Is there a way to accomplish this? Do you have any plugins that allow greater customization for BuddyBoss forums?

Best wishes,
    Mark

• Participant
    Mark Winstein on #42877

BuddyBoss reports that “by default, the option to add excerpts to the forum page is not available on the platform.”

What is the right path forward? Should I abandon the BuddyBoss platform for a better tech stack? Or would a fix or plugin be better?

• Participant
    Mark Winstein on #42919

Another associate provided me with the following snippet:

add_action( 'bbp_theme_after_topic_title', function() {
      bbp_topic_excerpt();
    });

This worked with the default WordPress theme, but failed with the BuddyBoss theme. I looked at the DOM. It seems the BuddyBoss theme doesn’t include bbp-topic-title.

Topic excerpts are vital for my business model. What do you suggest I do to resolve this issue?

• Keymaster
    Level: Yogi
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Ravi on #42934

Hello Mark,

Thank you for the details. You can override the BuddyBoss theme template file in the child theme and call the function directly.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Regards
    Ravi

• Participant
    Mark Winstein on #42947

Hi Ravi,

While I understand your instructions, I am not skilled at modifying themes. Is this something I can request as custom service from BuddyDev?

Also, the BuddyBoss theme does include bbp-topic-permalink. Is there a way to run a code snippet on that instead of bbp-topic-title rather than modifying the theme template?

I am concerned that modifying the theme template in the child theme will prevent future theme updates from being applied to that template. Is this a valid concern?

Thank you again,

Mark

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #42949

Hi Mark,
    At the moment, BuddyBoss theme lacks proper hooks. They have too many things(template files) hardcoded without any hook to allow extension.

I understand that they may be interested in limiting what can be achieved via external plugins. You don’t have much of a choice other than overriding(unless BuddyBoss starts adding hooks to template files).

Please feel free to get it touch for any custom needs via our services page

https://buddydev.com/buddypress-custom-development-service/

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Mark Winstein on #42960

Hi Brajesh,

Thank you for your explanation. I understand the meaning of what you’re saying.

It seems that I might be better off switching to a theme that is coded properly, and that runs on BuddyPress and BBPress directly instead the BuddyBoss forks.

What do you think? If you were recommending a tech and theme stack for someone starting fresh, what would advise?

Mark

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #42973

Hi Mark,
    You are welcome.

At the moment, I will not suggest leaving BuddyBoss theme. We are hoping to provide an alternative this year but there is no proper time line due to our current backlog and it is going to take significant effort.

For the time being, I will suggest staying with BuddyBoss if you are already using it. They have a very good theme( the look and feel of it and I don’t see any similar feel theme for BuddyPress.)

Regards
    Brajesh

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This topic is: not resolved