BuddyDev

Search

Advice regarding adding many member types or classifications of taxonomies

• Participant
    Level: Master
    Mike (DesignServe) on #23813

Hi Brajesh,

I have a couple of days off work as you can tell 🙂 I’m working heavily on my sites.

When members sign up for my old sites they choose from a long list of keyboard models. Here is the registration page:

https://technicskn7000.com/index.php/register/

(aside: this page used to autodetect their country using the maxmind database, which was extremely useful. It would add the flag of their country and it also prevented spam members from entering the wrong country. That saved me from a lot of spammers).

When they choose from the models, it applies an attribute to their membership. The attribute does a few things:

1 – Ensures that they can see the correct files that can be downloaded for their models.
    2 – Puts them in the correct ‘Groups’ for discussions about their models.
    3 – Assigns something similar to a ‘member type’, so that they receive emails that relate to the correct models.
    4 – Lets me check their membership when they register – I receive a registration email that lists their models. Sometimes spam members pretend to own every model (because they want to download all my files and spread them around). Sometimes spam members choose combinations of models that I know people won’t own, which helps me to reject suspicious members.

What I would like to do in WordPress:

1 – I want to force users to select at least one model. I would prefer them to be redirected to a page after signup to do that if possible but it would be ok to be on the signup page. It is a long list so I’m trying to think of a better way to show the list.
    2 – I don’t want users to be able to participate until they have selected at least one model.
    3 – I want to be able to easily see if users select a lot of models either by receiving an email or visually in the dashboard. Most users have between 1 and 5 models. In an ideal world it would flag to me if they say they have more than 3 models (because I have caught a few spammers selling my files on eBay and I have taken ten years in making these files, so it upsets me 🙂 ).

My thoughts to implememt this in WordPress is to give them Member Types that are the same as the models. They would need to have multiple Member Types per user and the Member Types would map to a Member Role (Probably Subscriber, I’m not sure yet).

That is another reason why badges are so important to me (thanks for that!), because they can have a badge to say what model they own, for each Member Type.

So, I think the missing piece is how to match Member Types to Buddypress Groups. I believe that will let them see forum posts and other information that is relevant to the models they own. I haven’t fully understood categories and taxonomies yet but I’m getting there. In my old site I automated a script every day that checks the Member attributes and adds them to something similar to wordpress groups.

Any advice you might have will be appreciated. I do not know where I would be if I had not found Buddydev!

Thank you

• This topic was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by Mike (DesignServe). Reason: added explanatory information
  • Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #23841

Hi Mike,
    Thank you for the topic and the kind words.

Your use of member type for each model seems right to me. If the member type maps to model, we can achieve all the points mentions.

1. You can mark the multi member type field as required(and select view as checkbox). That will take care of it
    2. Sure. You may use profile fields completion plugin by us to make that happen.
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/buddypress-profile-completion/

3. It is doable. with some code, my team will assist you with it.

4. You can also use member type to auto assign groups to users. Users will be added to group or removed from it when changing member type. This is available in the member type create/edit page.

Hope that helps.

Regards
    Brajesh

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This topic is: not resolved