BuddyDev

Search

[Resolved] Advice to link Members to 'Models' of keyboards

• Participant
    Level: Master
    Mike (DesignServe) on #24827

Hi Brajesh,

A User can only have one Member Type. Is that correct?

I have to re-plan how to link my Users with the model of Keyboards that they own.

At the moment, I have Groups with Group Forums. Each Group represents a range of models of keyboards that have software compatibility. The Member joins the Group and then they can participate in conversations about their ‘range’. This maintains Topics that they have in common which makes sense.

Now I have to devise a way to link a Member with the types of keyboards that they own. Some Members have 1 keyboard, others might have more (you guessed it, I have 12 🙂 ).

I intended to use Member Types but they can only have one Member Type.

I need a taxonomy that a User can choose from, to select their models. I have to be able to apply that taxonomy to Users, Pages, Posts and other items and it has to be a static list created by Admin.

I think I have to do this with Advanced Custom Fields. What do you think? And possibly link the ACF to an xprofie field?

———

Aside from that, if ACF is the best way to go, I’ll have to find a way to add badges with ACF because I won’t be able to use Member Badges for it, I think.

———

Final question: Or is there a way to use Circles? I didn’t read much about Circles yet. Could there be a Circle for (say) Keyboard Model KN7000? And I could somehow link that Circle to pages, posts, users and other things?

Sorry for the very confusing questions. I am trying to think my way through this complicated problem. The Member needs to be able to choose their models and then I need to use that information for them to find the correct, compatible information for their model. My site has about 150,000 files with different compatibilities, and I have to somehow show the Member which files they can use.

Many thanks,
    Mike

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #24842

Hi Mike,
    We can use member types for it. My suggestion will be to use only one member type field.

You can use “Multi Member Type” field to allow user select multiple member types.

Please do note that if you use Member Type to categorise users by keyboard models, you can not use the member type for another type of classification.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Level: Master
    Mike (DesignServe) on #24856

Brajesh,

Ahh ok that’s a great idea. You saved the day again! I’ll read up about it.

Best wishes,
    Mike

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #24889

You are welcome 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This topic is: resolved