BuddyDev

Search

Badge for Participant or other Bbpress Roles

Tagged: 

• Participant
    Level: Master
    Mike (DesignServe) on #24565

Hi Brajesh,

I wanted to add a badge to Participants. Participants doesn’t exist in Roles Badges. However, it exists as a Role in the site (so does Moderator, Keymaster etc).

Adding a badge to Participants is not very important to me (you don’t need to edit the plugin for me) but it made me curious whether there is something different about the Bbpress Roles because any Roles created by other plugins can receive badges.

The Bbpress Roles show up in User Role Editor (plugin) and so do my WPDM Membership Roles (WPDM manages Membership by Roles, I really like that). I can add badges to my WPDM Roles no problem, which is what I mainly wanted.

Therefore, this post is mainly to satisfy my curiosity about whether Bbpress Roles are something different to normal WordPress Roles.

Many thanks,
    Mike

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #24566

Hi Mike,
    Thank you for reporting the issue.

I checked and I can see the issue. bbPress roles are not registered as global roles. They seem to be registered dynamically and being assigned to user.

We are using

get_editable_roles()

To get the list of available roles and bbPress roles are not available here.

We will add support for bbPress next week(19th onwards) as we are thin on available developers this week(having 2 holidays here on 12th and 15th).

Thank you
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Mike (DesignServe) on #24621

I think there is a related bug in Member Types Pro.

Participant (for example) is not in the list of Associated Roles when we edit Member Type.

I gave two Roles to a Member Type. I then assigned the Member Type to a User in the back end (Change Member Type to…).

That removed the User from being a Participant.

Hope that helps,
    Mike

• Participant
    Mike (DesignServe) on #24622

I’m also not able to reassign them with the Participant Role using the dropdown “Change Forum Role to…” I don’t know if that is connected with your plugins or not.

Cheers.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #24636

Hi Mike,
    I do see the issue with bbPress role.

The problem is bbPress does not handle it in normal way. I can see the reason. Since WordPress does not have the UI for multiple role assignment to a user and bbPress needs to assign extra roles, It does a lot of non standard thing to achieve that.

For example, bbPress assigns a role but the same role is no t available from the roles list.

In our case, since we assume normal workflow, we simply set the role using ->set_role() which overrides the custom role managed by bbPress.

There is a work around, we will need to handle the bbPress specific role management. There are 2 approaches I can think right now.

Please allow me till this weekend to put an update.

Thank you
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Mike (DesignServe) on #24637

Hi Brajesh,

Thank you for your kind attenton, your support amazes me.

Simplifying the terminology of my site slightly; Let’s say a User buys an upgrade, the Membership plugin assigns a proper WordPress Role, call it VIP_Role. Maybe all membership plugins do it that way, I didn’t understand it at first because my old system doesn’t do it like that.

Therefore, it will be better for my site if I don’t associate any Roles with Member Types because it could accidentally alter a paid membership.

Anyway, I’m happy that you know what you’re doing. You teach me a lot and I can help a little sometimes 🙂

Best wishes,
    Mike

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #24646

Hi Mike,
    Thank you.

Yes, you are right about the effect on role and your decision seems right to me.

Glad that I am able to assist.

Thank you for being a valuable member here.

Regards
    Brajesh

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This topic is: not resolved