BuddyDev

Search

BBPress notifications in BuddyPress profile

• Participant
    Level: Master
    NikB on #27619

When a member is viewing notifications in their own profile and clicks on a link to a BBPress notification eg. “You have one new reply to X Topic from Y”, that notification should automatically be marked as “read” but it’s not happening 🙁

Same issue under “Notifications” in the menu bar, but if I could fix one, hopefully I can fix the other too!

All other ie. Buddypress notifications work fine and as expected.

The links generated are something along the lines of… mysite/forums/topic/my-new-topic/?action=bbp_mark_read&topic_id=2036&_wpnonce=8b95c61fcc#post-2044

I’ve tried changing themes and the issue remains the same.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I may be missing?

With many, many thanks in advance…

• Participant
    NikB on #27641

Just to add to this, in case anyone with a similar problem comes across it, this seems to be an issue only with more recent versions of bbPress as downgrading from 2.6.4 to 2.5.14 (an old version that I happened to have installed elsewhere) seems to resolve the issue.

I’m pretty sure it’s arising from the file located in bbpress/includes/extend/buddypress/notifications.php where there is a function called function bbp_format_buddypress_notifications() which creates a link (which when clicked, automatically marks that particular notification as “read”).

From the quick test I’ve just run, it would appear that the link/string created in more recent versions of bbPress may not be correct but I’ll need to do some more investigation to work out how/why.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #27651

Hi Nick,
    Thank you for sharing.

I had a look at the bbPress 2.6.3 and it seems to have a handler for this. I will be testing a bit tomorrow and get back to you.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    NikB on #27653

Thank you so much Brajesh and that’s interesting. I might have a look at that version myself but you’re far more experienced in these things than I am (!) so I’m sure you’ll spot the issue more quickly (though I’m 99% sure it’s just the code that’s used to generate the link which isn’t quite working as it should).

I’ll look forward to any further thoughts you may have.

Warm regards
    Nik

• Participant
    NikB on #27726

Hi Brajesh… just wondering if you’d had any chance to look into this at all?

With many thanks in advance.
    Nik

• Participant
    Level: Initiated
    Scott Hinkle on #29870

I am having this very issue. When following notification links for BuddyPress activity, it auto-clears but when following notification links for BBpress activity, it remains until I clear it manually.

I can’t really downgrade my BBPress installation so I’m hoping someone finds another fix for this.

Thank you!

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #29874

Hi Scott,
    Clearing of individual notifications are handled by the plugin generating them. We simply list them.

In this case, It is bbPress which handles clearing the notification not us. It seems they are not handling it.

Please report it on bbPress trac.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    NikB on #29883

Hi Scott

You may find it helpful to check out this thread… https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/bbpress-notifications-not-clearing-up/#post-209895, particularly the post almost at the end which states:

“It looks like this is a known bug, and a patch might be implemented in the future (see “Attachments”):
    https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/3341

Editing bbpress/includes/extend/buddypress/notifications.php as shown there has fixed the issue for me.”

I also used the same patch and it fixed the issue for me too, though heaven knows why it’s taking BBPress so long to address themselves 😉

• Participant
    Scott Hinkle on #29884

Thank you,
    I’ll see about reaching out to the appropriate party.

Scott

• Participant
    Scott Hinkle on #29886

Awesome! I test that out right now.

Thanks!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This topic is: not resolved