BuddyDev

Search

[Resolved] Best way to add a Member's Bio

• Participant
    Level: Master
    Mike (DesignServe) on #24826

Hi Brajesh,

Am I correct about this for multisite multiblog?

For each user, the WordPress Bio is different in each site. Correct?

Therefore, I should use an xprofile field for the Buddypress user to write their Bio information. Correct?

If these are correct, can I synchronise a Buddypress xprofile Bio field back into the Author Bio in each site? Or should I avoid that?

Secondarily:

I’m hiding the Basic field group in reistration at the moment (as you know, I’m actually using my theme’s registration module at the moment). I don’t want to force the user to complete their Bio field when they register at the moment. Is it bset to make a Bio field in the Basic field group? Or should I make a new field group for some additional fields like this?

Thanks,
    Mike

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #24831

Hi Mike,
    The user meta is global, so the bio field is global. If updated on one site, It will reflect on all sites. You do not need bio to sync to BuddyPress xprofile fields.

If you want to use bio as BuddyPress field, you can create a multi line text area field and let it be as non required. That will work too.

For basic fields like name and Bio, I think Base group is a good choice.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Mike (DesignServe) on #24833

Brajesh,

Ahh, thank you, I was wrong 🙂

So can I make it that I can edit the normal Worpress Bio from within Buddypress profile by linking to an xprofile field? Or is that not a good way?

I mean, to have a field that users can edit themselves from the frontend.

Thanks,
    Mike

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #24839

Hi Mike,
    I do not think you need to sync the data as you will be using the xprofile field only. Still, It is easy to do that.

Here is a plugin that allows it
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/bp2wp-full-sync/

Also, it can be achieved by 4-5 lines of code if we know the xprofile field id.

PS:- Allowing users to edit the field is a good idea.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Mike (DesignServe) on #24844

Thank you! I was just looking at that plugin too!

The reason I want to sync the Bio with WordPress is because a lot of other plugins can retrieve the Bio out of WordPress but they aren’t aware of Buddypress 🙂

Thanks yet again 🙂

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #24849

Hi Mike,
    Thank you for sharing. I do understand the need now . All the best 🙂

Regards
    Brajesh

The topic ‘ [Resolved] Best way to add a Member's Bio’ is closed to new replies.

This topic is: resolved