I notice that all the links from the post loop in the group blog goes to inner page of group…. the problem is that this creates a duplicate of the post.
You not only can access the post from the permalink for ordinary single post but you can also access the same post from the BGC group blog with a different permalink.
The other problem is that BCG plugin template for the single post doesn’t have all hooks and actions of regular single.php file, so, most of theme functions are not working inside this template.
Is there away that could prevent the plugin from creating duplicate content and make the permalinks from the BGC group blog go to regular post of wordpress?
Thank you for using the plugin. I am in the process of pushing an update tomorrow and will add the option in the dashboard settings to let you choose where you want to link. Normal permalink or show it on group.
For the single page:- Sorry, There are no special hooks on single.php. If your theme is adding it, it is theme specific and there are no standards about it.
We can add blog category specific actions but for most of the themes, the template will need to change.
Thank you for the patience.
I have already fixed it on our development repo
I am planning a few more enhancements before releasing today. Will be posting back after the release.
Thank you for the patience.
Please upgrade to 1.3.0 and then you can visit Dashboard->Settings->Blog Categories for Group and for the setting
“How do we link to single posts?”, Please select “Link to normal site blog post page.” That will do it.
Apologies for not responding earlier… just seen your post today.
I have uploaded the 1.30 version and run a number of test…
Here are the results:
1) When you choose “link to single post” it works – The post shows up on the group page but the link is to the single post – so NO duplicate content… however the images uploaded from front end as the featured image do not show up in the article.
2) if you try to load a post from the backend the whole post published shows up as a single post but does not show up under the group page at all.
3) When you choose the link to “show inside group” – The post shows up on the group page and also a duplicate shows up on the single post …. the duplicate content issue remains here.
4) The issue for loading a post from the back end also occurs here again – if you try to load a post from the backend the whole post published shows up as a single post but does not show up under the group page.
My own set up is using a custom post type for the post from the “blog categories for groups plugin”.. so i am not sure if that might contribute to the issues i am experiencing.
Any help will be much appreciated
No problem with the delay.
1. Does a featured image set from backend shows up?
2. I am sorry but I am unable to understand. what is loading of a post from backend? Is it creating a post? Unless a post is created from a group, It won’t be visible inside the group.
3. It is expected behaviour(atleast for now as we haven’t excluded from archive etc). You have the 1st optin to resolve duplicate content.
4. Please clarify loading a post from backend.
Thanks for the response
You can now forget about the issue with the images … that problem was being caused by an outdated “BP Simple Front End Post plugin”. All the images are now working well
Pardon me for using the term backend…. I was referring to the admin panel.
Following your explanation in “2” and “3” above, I now understand that the plugin is functioning as designed
For post to be displayed on the group page… it needs to be published from the “group page” only. Any post published from the admin panel will not show up on the group page. .. and to avoid duplicate content the “Link to normal site blog post page.” will need to be selected
All clear and working now.
Thanks for your help
PS: I note that the numbers that show the number of post in the group blog are missing… Please see the image link below:
Hi Propertytips ,
I am glad it is all resolved now.
About the count, It is intentional. Not all tabs need count. We can add tabs without count.
For Blog Category the decision was based on performance optimization. To add count we had two option
1. Count the posts each time any of the group screen is loaded. Counting based on meta keys for a larger site is not a great idea. We assume that communities means larger no. of posts quickly.
2. Or we can keep the count in cache(transient or meta). This is better but keeping a sync and avoiding confusion is important. We left it as future enhancement.
The topic ‘ [Resolved] Blog Categories For Groups Creating Duplicate Content’ is closed to new replies.