BuddyDev

Search

[Resolved] Blog Categories For Groups throwing errors

• Participant
    Level: Enlightened
    Nick on #43681

Notice: Trying to get property ‘name’ of non-object in /wp-content/plugins/blog-categories-for-groups/core/template-tags.php on line 154

I’m using BUddyBoss, but I don’t think that matters here. There seems to be something strange going on with the bcg_get_taxonomies function – it only produces arrays rather than objects, and only have one element with the value of 1, which seems like the only possibility given that it just extracts the value of bcg_get_option[‘allowed_taxonomies’], which is set to 1.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #43682

Hi Nick,
    Thank you for reporting.
    If you take a look, the function is called with a taxonomy object.

Here is the reason for your problem:- You have enabled Taxonomy but not selected any taxonomy(Category/Tag etc).

Please visit the Blog Categories settings and make sure to configure it properly.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Nick on #43688

Thanks, sorry for the mistake. However, this reveals other bugs/oversights in the code.

This was a fresh install – I hadn’t visited the settings yet. So, the default settings either shouldn’t be set to Taxonomies “Yes” or (far better) the plugin should have some logic to deal with the default (and otherwise likely) case that Taxonomies is set to “Yes” but no taxonomies are selected.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #43689

Thank you for reminding us about the oversight.
    Please feel free to submit a patch. we will be glad to have it fixed in the next release.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Nick on #43690

I’m quite sure that you know how to implement something like that far better than me. Moreover, isn’t this something that you guys – as the developers of a paid product – could and should be doing? It seems like something that would take you 1 minute to implement…

Or am I missing something about how the plugins and subscriptions work?

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #43691

Hi Nick,
    We can certainly fix it and we will.

Do you know that Blog categories is not a paid product and not even tested with current version of BuddyPress? So, your statement about it being paid is incorrect. Your expectation of being entitled to a fix for a notice in one of the free plugins is over-reaction when it is not even being advertised to be compatible with current version. That’s why I suggested to share a fix.

If you are using an old plugin we don’t guarantee that it will work and not produce notices(this is not the case for our pro plugins where we take priority to updated), there may be config issues.

This plugin has not been updated since 2019 and we plan to drop it in future. I hope that clarifies my point.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Nick on #43697

Apologies, my mistake! I saw the prices on the Blog Categories page and wrongly assumed it was part of the paid packages. So, please disregard this request – you have more important things to worry about! I’ll figure something out at some point and share the code here.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #43701

Hi Nick,
    No issues. If we update it before your patch, I will write back here.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #43916

Hi Nick,
    Hope you are doing well.
    I have updated it it will be available in our next release.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Nick on #43918

Thanks!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This topic is: resolved