BuddyDev

Search

BuddyBlog: How to have the members of a group informed about new posts ?

• Participant
    Level: Enlightened
    Eric LUCAS on #25384

Hello, I would like to know how to do.
    When I publish a new post, I check the box of the post category associated with a given group (or several).
    Then, the post shows when I click “Blog” in that group.
    But the activity stream of the group does not mention that publication, which is a problem because I use something informing the members of a group by email when there is something new.
    I use the BuddyBlog system, with the categories, in order to share “announcements” from groups to other groups (about needs for volunteering). But currently, if the member of a group do not click the link (tab) “Blog”, they have no idea that there is a new announcement…
    Thanks !

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #25401

Hi Eric,
    Is there any chance you are not using BuddyBlog but using Blog categories for groups plugin? If you publish from a group, It will add the blog post to that specific group’s activity stream(gets added to only 1 goup’s stream).

I do not see any other way.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Eric LUCAS on #25538

Hello and thanks, ok I see, if I post in the usual “Posts” section of WordPress, it won’t show in the activity of the groups associated with the selected categories of the post.

If I post an article with the link “Blogs” of BuddyBlogs, it shows in the activity.

But how can i post in several groups ?
    I use the “blog” feature to publish “announcements” to the members of various groups.
    Then I need a way to notify them about a new post in their group. There is a notification feature (by email) when there is an activity update. But given that the new blog (BuddyBlog) posts show only in one group, then the people of the other groups won’t be notified.
    So how to do ?
    I have checked some plugin which notify members in case of new post (for the usual WP posts) but it notified all the WP or BP members, not only the members of given groups (which is possible with the group email plugin that I use).

In other words, I would like to be able to check boxes of *groups* (or to select groups) when publishing such blog posts, instead of categories. The categories would become unnecessary, and it would solve also another “problem” that I mentioned previously.
    Is it possible, or maybe is there another plugin to do that ?
    In short, I want to publish a post in various groups by selecting them, and the group members to be notified. It can be done with a plugin notifying new activity update by email, or by some other way if it exists.

Thanks !

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #25549

Hi Eric,
    I am sorry, that is not doable. BuddyPress does not supporting single activity entry to be available/associated to multiple groups.

If you need to do it, You will need to create multiple activities(one for each group). You will need to hire a developer to do it for you. There is no out of the box solution.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Eric LUCAS on #25550

Hello, ok thanks a lot for the explanation.

But if we put aside the subject or “BuddyPress activity”, is there a way to

– publish a post in several groups, Im mean exactly like what you have done with the categories, but instead of categories, we would select groups (by typing the first letters) ?

– or any other way to post informations to selected groups, in such a way that they would receive an email notification (not with the “activity”).

I just want to publish some “announcements” of volunteering needs in various groups easily. Im’ using the BuddyBlog for this, but maybe it’s not the best way. Maybe I should post the adds directly in each activity thread of each group I want, but it takes time. It’s better to selec boxes or groups inside the post. You system with BuddyBlog is very good for that, because I affect categories to groups, and I just have to check the categories that I want, before publishing a post. But the only problem is that no one is aware of this, because people don’t spend their time checking the “Blogs” tab just to see whether maybe there is something new.

Or maybe it would be possible to develop a simple script that would run permanently and detect if there is a new post for a group, and put that in the activity. But it seems difficult, since the link between the post and the group is through the categories. That’s why I was wondering wether you can add a way to make an association with groups and/or categories instead of “only” categories. If it is possible, maybe it would make the plugin even more flexible and richer.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by Eric LUCAS.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This topic is: not resolved