BuddyDev

Search

BuddyBlog – Post approval

• Participant
    Level: Master
    NikB on #48197

Hi again Brajesh

When a BuddyBlog post requires approval, it shows in the WordPress dashboard as “pending”. Two queries on this as follows –

1. Is there any difference between a) simply changing the post status to “Published” ie. in the standard WordPress way and b) setting the post status to “Approved” using the BuddyBlog “Post Approval” settings? I have a hunch that admins already familiar with WordPress may well opt for the former and overlook the latter (and as far as I can tell, that does still result in the post being published) but doesn’t automatically set the post to “Approved”. Is this likely to cause any issues?

2. Is there any way to make the BuddyBlog “Post Approval” box appear for users other than those with the role of “admin” eg. I would like to allow “editors” to be able to approve posts (especially as they can already publish them from the dashboard).

With many thanks again
    Nik

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #48208

Hi Nik,
    Thank you for the questions.

1. The difference is the flag(approval) will not be updated if you do not select it. Yo u need to select “Approve” and then “Publish”. If the flag is not updated, on the notification workflow and front end listing of approved may not work.

2. We can do that in future version. I believe we should post the role selector in Form edit page?

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    NikB on #48218

Hi Brajesh

Thank you for getting back to me.

1. You’re right of course, I’ve just tested this and (rather obviously;-)) the approval email doesn’t get sent out to the user if admin doesn’t tick the approval box. Clearly this isn’t a problem, I just need to educate the admins to remember to tick the box!

2. That would be much appreciated if you can add it in a future version and yes I agree, including a role selector in the Form edit page would seem most relevant as it’s part of the “workflow”.

That said, is there any way that I could override this restriction for now ie. allow “editors” to approve BuddyBlog posts from the WP dashboard? (It’s currently slightly counter-intuitive as editors already have the right to change the status of a post from “pending” to “published” but still don’t have access to the approval box, which causes the scenario in point 1, whereby a post is published but the poster doesn’t get notified…)

Regards
    Nik

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #48225

Hi Nik,
    Thank you.
    Currently, we are using ‘edit_others_posts’ capability which should be fine for editors to approve. If it is not, there is a probability that you are using a custom post type with mapped capability.

You can filter on ‘bblpro_user_can_moderate_posts’ to return true for allowed users and false for not allowed.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    NikB on #48233

Hi Brajesh

Thank you for clarification.

From what you say, it sounds as if editors *should* be able to approve others’ posts but for some reason, this isn’t working for me, even with standard posts eg.

Regular user submits a (BuddyBlog) post for review
    Editor logs in to the WP Dashboard, they can see/edit the post, and change the status to published but the BuddyBlog meta box to allow them to Approve or Reject the post does not appear underneath the post (whereas it does for Admins).

I’ve ensured that all screen options available or checked.

I’ll see what I can do with the filter you mention, but does the above sound like a bug to you?

Warm regards
    Nik

• Participant
    NikB on #48293

Hi Brajesh

Just to note that I’ve now worked out that the behaviour described above seems to be related to some code Ravi kindly provided for me a few weeks ago, so I’ll continue the explanation there.

Related post here: https://buddydev.com/support/forums/topic/buddyblog-pro-override-submit-post-for-review/

Regards
    Nik

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #48299

Hi Nik,
    Thank you.
    I am working on a solution for this.
    This is one of the reasons I did not release the update last week for BuddyBlog Pro/Groups.

It may be part of our next update(1-2 days).

Regards
    Brajesh

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #48407

Hi Nik,
    Hope you are doing well.
    we have just released RR3 but could not add it as it needs a core level change. I will have another update next week that will focus on this as well as enhancements for some theme compatibility.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    NikB on #48424

Hi Brajesh

Thank you for getting back to me.

Sorry if I’m slightly confused but I’m not quite sure what aspect of the above you are hoping to include in the next update. Is it that editor’s posts will no longer require approval or something else?

Any clarification would be helpful so that I can prioritise what customisation I still need to address myself.

With many thanks as always.
    Nik

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #48430

Hi Nik,
    Thank you for the reply.

Currently, we don’t have any specific API to check if the form needs moderation. It is all based on the “pending” vs “publish” status.
    I am planning to add an API for this to allow us flexibility in future. You will not notice any change in the user interface in the admin in next update, It will be mostly internal code+ filters. That’s my current goal for next week.

Regards
    Brajesh

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This topic is: not resolved