BuddyDev

Search

[Resolved] BuddyBlog Pro – Can’t create blog post as normal user

Tagged: 

• Participant
    Level: Initiated
    John on #38120

Hi,

I’ve just installed BuddyBlog Pro and created a basic Form, and whilst as an Admin user I can create new BuddyBlog Posts from within my BuddyBoss user Profile, I cannot as a normal user – I keep getting an “Unable to submit. Please complete the form.” error when I click Publish as a normal user – this is with all fields (only two of them – Title and Featured Image!) populated and filled in and Category ticked and Comment status set to Open or Closed.

Earlier in the setup process I was getting a permission error when trying to upload an image for the Featured Image, but this seems to be because my normal user was a wordpress Subscriber Role. This issue went away when I changed the user to an Author role (now though I need to figure out how to prevent user access to wp-admin ’cause I don’t want that).

My Form has set its type to Post with Taxonomies enabled and restricted and default set to a single category (not that the default seems to work in the frontend as I always have to tick the checkbox each time I submit a post). For Post Fields I’ve restricted this all the way down to just a mandatory Title Field and optional featured Image field. Interestingly if I remove the optional featured error message then the behaviour changes – I no longer get the ‘Unable to submit’ error, but instead a new problem where no error is displayed but after clicking publish I am returned to the Create post page under my profile with all the Form fields filled in as I had them – but no Post ever gets created.

For settings I’ve not strayed too far from the defaults apart from adding some ‘Everyone’ options while trying to troubleshoot this issue.

Wordpress 5.7.1
    BuddyBOSS Platform 1.5.8
    BuddyBOSS Pro 1.1.1
    LearnDash 3.4.0.2
    Other normal plugins like Jetpack, WooCommerce, etc. Tried disabling caching, but no difference.

Since the admin user can Create BuddyBlog Posts from the BuddyBOSS profile area (using the fronted) but my normal user can’t, it seems to me some kind of permission problem. But changing roles between Subscriber, Contributor and Author has made no difference. The docs don’t mention anything about permissions that I can see.

Some assistance would be appreciated please!

Thanks

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #38121

Hi John,
    Thank you for using the plugin.

1. You do not need to make a user as author to allow them using the featured image with BuddyBlog pro.
    The only time you will need to update the role will be when have put the restrictions via custom plugin. BuddyBlog Pro will work nicely with default WordPress roles and capabilities.

2. It seems to be a validation error.

Is there is any staging or dev environment where I can take a quick peek? I could find the issue and assist you.

Otherwise, Please share me link to screenshots for the form management page(Dashboard->Forms->edit) and the Post type tab settings.

Thank you
    Brajesh

• Participant
    John on #38170
    This reply has been marked as private.
  • Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #38178
    This reply has been marked as private.
  • Participant
    John on #38183

Woop woop!

That worked Brajesh – thanks again for the quick reply.

For anyone else reading this thread, the problem was with myrole permissions. Go to BuddyBlog -> Settings -> Post (in my case its post, yours might be different), and under the Editing section ensure the role of the user has been ticked (in my case it wasn’t set to the default role of Subscriber, but now is to make posts work) to allow editing posts. I misunderstood this setting and thought the ‘Allow users to edit their posts?’ set to Yes was all that was needed – but that looks like its actually only allowing them to Edit after-the-fact.

👍

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #38207

Thank you John.

I am glad it is working now. I apologize for not publishing this earlier. We do need to allow users the edit role to provide them with publishing capability.

Regards
    Brajesh

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This topic is: resolved