BuddyDev

Search

BuddyBlog – Taxonomies

• Participant
    Level: Master
    NikB on #48426

Hi Brajesh

I’m fairly sure this is nothing to do with the latest BuddyBlog Groups release but I’ve just noticed something very odd going on with BuddyBlog Pro taxonomies as follows –

What happens –
    User creates a post and publishes a post

If they haven’t selected a category, there is a short pause after the “Post submitted successfully” message is displayed and then the page appears to “refresh” (and to be saved) with ALL categories selected.

What should happen –
    Users should be able to publish a post without selecting a category ie. it’s not a required field

Post form settings –
    Enable taxonomy: Yes
    Enabled taxonomies: Category
    Limit to categories: Article or News
    Default term: Not selected (although setting this to either Article or News doesn’t seem to make any difference)
    Is required: No
    Default view: Checkboxes
    Allow users to create terms: No

If it would help to solve the issue, I wouldn’t mind setting a default term which is applied if the user doesn’t select their own (ideally this would appear as pre-ticked on the form) as long as I can somehow find a way to stop the posts being saved to ALL categories (apparently by default).

Note: the form is for standard WordPress posts, not a custom post type.

Not sure if this is a bug or I’ve somehow misunderstood the settings?

With many thanks in advance for any thoughts.
    Nik

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #48431

Hi Nik,
    Thank you for reporting.

We haven’t released any update to BuddyBlog Pro and BuddyBlog Groups does not have any bearing on core.

Can you please disable BuddyBlog Groups and try to see if it is actually the conflict. I don’t see any code level change directly responsible for it.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    NikB on #48436

Hi Brajesh

Thank you for getting back to me.

Sorry I should have added that I have already tried disabling BuddyBlog groups and that didn’t change the above described behaviour. I have also tried –

Switching the theme to Twenty Twenty (so no custom code coming from a child theme)
    De-activating ALL plugins except BuddyBlog Pro and basic BuddyBoss Platform
    Re-verting to the previous version of BuddyBlog Pro (ie. version 1.3.2)
    Testing on a back up version of the site taken back in December 2022

All of which suggests to me that this issue is not a new problem nor indeed, related to any recent update. I must admit, I’m quite surprised I haven’t noticed it before but can only assume I have always selected a category when creating a post, as the issue only occurs when NO cateogry is selected.

Testing a bit more –

If I don’t restrict the categories and allow “Uncategorised” as an option, when a post is made without any category having been selected, it defaults (and saves) as “Uncategorised” only (even if I have set the default to “News”).

If I exclude “Uncategorised” as an option, when a post is made without any category having been selected, it defaults (and saves) as ALL allowed categories (ie. News and Article).

I could be wrong but it seems to me that possibly there is some conflict occuring when an attempt is made to save a post without a category and “Uncategorised” is not allowed as an option (as would be the WordPress default) which causes any alternative default (as set in BuddyBlog Pro) to be disregarded and ALL allowed categories are used instead. If that makes any sense at all?

With many thanks as always for any thoughts.
    Nik

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #48439

Hi Nik,
    Thank you for the details.

I am asking @ravisharma to test it and he or I will get back to you in next 24 hours with the update.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #48475

Hi Nik,
    Thank you for your patience.
    This was an issue in BuddyBlog Pro. My apologies for missing it.
    I have fixed it now.

Please do note that you must specify a default term if you do not want all terms to be selected. This will work with our release coming up this week.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    NikB on #48777

Hi Brajesh

I have all the latest versions installed and have been testing this a bit more. It still doesn’t seem to be working as I would expect as follows –

Ideally I would like users to be able to publish a post without having to select a category, however, as suggested above, I don’t mind setting a “default” if necessary.

Post form settings –
    Enable taxonomy: Yes
    Enabled taxonomies: Category
    Limit to categories: Article or News
    Default term: News
    Is required: No
    Default view: Checkboxes
    Allow users to create terms: No

The post form doesn’t actually show the default category as being pre-selected, and when the user submits the post without selecting a category, the post is saved in ALL categories (ie. both Article and News).

Surely if a default term has been set, and the user has made no category choice, the default term should be the only one used for the post?

Note: if “Is required” is set to “yes”, then obviously the user can’t submit the post until they’ve chosen a category but this then rather renders the “default” setting irrelevant 😉

Am I missing something?

With many thanks in advance for any thoughts.
    Nik

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #48792

Hi Nik,
    Thank you for the detailed reporting of the issue.

Please allow me to check this today and get back to you in next 24 hours.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #48808

Hi Nik,
    Thank you for your patience.
    There was a bug which manifested when included terms were specified. The post was assigned to all included terms if none was specified.

It is fixed now. Please upgrade to BuddyBlog pro 1.3.6. This will work as expected(and there is no change required at your end).

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    NikB on #48809

Hi Brajesh

Ah that’s great! It did actually cross my mind that perhaps it was something to do with the fact that I’d specified the terms (as I guessed it might not be something you’d checked) 😉

Thank you so much for fixing so promptly.

Regards
    Nik

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #48817

Thank you Nik.
    I am sorry, It was totally our bug and we should have found it earlier. We had this behaviour in the original BuddyBlog(free) plugin and we carried that over to the new BuddyBlog Pro without thinking of the issues.

Thank you for reporting and helping us resolve it.

Regards
    Brajesh

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This topic is: not resolved