BuddyDev

Search

[Resolved] Buddyblog users "are not allowed to edit this item"

• Participant
    Level: Master
    Richard Foley on #16841

hi Brajesh,

I’m using the latest versions of Buddyblog 1.3.3 (and SFEP 1.3.5), and am having a major problem with my users unable to edit any of their blogs. They can create one, but not edit it.

The settings are:

publish=edit_posts

creating=edit_posts

edit=publish_post

As I understand it the latter (edit=publish_post) should send the user to the frontend for editing purposes. This only gives the following error: Sorry, you are not allowed to edit this item.

Do you have any helpful suggestions?

• Participant
    Richard Foley on #16846

As further information, the user concerned (all users) DO have the “edit_post” capability.

They do NOT have “publish post”, (because I want to send them to the frontend to edit).

HTH.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #16851

Hi Richard,
    Thank you for posting.

Can you please try changing the admin edit permissions to say ‘manage_options’ and see what happens?

Also, I am hoping that the users have ‘edit_posts’ not edit_post(They are contributor or above).

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Richard Foley on #16857

The users have edit_posts, and are contributors, yes.

Setting manage_options for admin edit permissions shows the same behaviour.

Strangely, if I add edit_published_posts to the contributor roles (users), then they are sent straight to the backend. (which is not wanted in this case).

• Participant
    Richard Foley on #16860

Wait a sec. this might be it, and is too obvious to be seen. For some reason the LINK to edit the blog is wrong. Instead of the correct:

site_url/members/richinud/bb/edit/189574/

I get the wrong URL which sends the user to the backend:

site_url/admin/post.php?post=189574&action=edit&lang=en

I’ll dig around and see if there’s a place I’m changing the edit link from and post back here later…

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #16871

Hi Richard,
    I am going to try with your setting in an hour too and will see if I can recreate it.

In the plugin, We do use 2 urls for editing depending on the current user’s capability. If the user is author or above(or as dictated by the edit capability), We use backend urls else the front end edit url.

Here is how we do it:-

1. If current user has the capability specified for editing in the backend(See admin edit capability option), we show the admin edit url.
    2. In all other cases we show the front end edit url.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Richard Foley on #16893

Ok, now I’m confused. I’m fairly sure I haven’t changed anything, but now the BB edit link is working exactly as expected – ghosts in the machine. >:=( (grumpy face). Closing as irrelevant, and if it happens again as Arnie said, I’ll be back…

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #16901

hahaha, I will stay here 🙂

Glad that it is working.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This topic is: resolved