BuddyDev

Search

[Resolved] BuddyPress Friends Suggestions Pro not entirely compatible with BuddyBoss

• Participant
    Level: Initiated
    Fain Fain on #45674

This plugin was listed as compatible with BuddyBoss. Here’s my issue.

I wanted the widget to only show up when a user is looking at their own profile. As such, I put it in the BuddyBoss “Members -> Single Profile” widget area. All of the other widgets in that area only show on the user’s signed in profile (they are all BB created widgets). However, this plugin’s widget shows on the profile pages of everyone else’s profile as well.

I opened a ticket with BuddyBoss and they said that it’s because this plugin is not fully integrated. I’m not sure what it would take to make this respect the rules of the various profiles area (like Single Profile only), but if that’s doable, I’d appreciate it.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #45675

Hi Fain,
    The plugin is fully compatible with BuddyBoss.

Please allow me to check one more time and get back to you on Monday just to be sure if we missed something.

Thank you
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Fain Fain on #45676

Monday is fine. Thank you.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #45702

Hi Fain,
    Thank you for the patience.

I am sorry for the delayed reply.

I am unable to find any issue with our implementation.

The goal of Friends Suggestion Pro is to list the friends of logged in user. It is not aware of where it is placed and a widget does not need to know that.

If BuddyBoss support is asking that the widget should hide itself from the sidebar, that is a very strange expectation. Instead, a better solution will be to have a different sidebar widget area of the displayed user where this widget is not added.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Fain Fain on #45713

I’m trying to send you screenshots, but I guess this doesn’t support that.

Yeah, they have a widget area that is described as: “Widgets in this area will be shown on individual member profiles.”

So, as an example, I have the “Profile Completion” widget in this area. When someone is looking at their own profile, they see a % Complete for their profile. When they go to any other page on the site, this Completion widget disappears. Same with everything else that goes in this particular widget area, even if it is not person specific – like a list of “Active Members” or whatever. Everything in this widget area only shows when a user looks at his own profile.

But your widget still shows everywhere even when put in this specialized widget area.

I just wanted to make clear what kind of widget area I’m dealing with. I understand that your widget doesn’t fully take advantage of the BuddyBoss widget area settings. I’ll figure out some other aesthetic place to put it.

Thanks for looking into this.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #45714

Hi Fain,
    Thank you for the reply.

I had a look at the “Members → Single Profile” widget area of the BuddyBoss theme. This widget area does not seem to be only limited to a person’s own profile. It seems, It is visible to any user viewing other user’s profile too.

Instead of providing 2 sidebar widget areas( for user’s own profile and then for other user’s profile), BuddyBoss has added custom conditions to their widgets and limited their availability to profile.

They can do it as it is their platform but it is not a good idea for general purpose widget.

For example, if we hide this widget on non profile page, anyone trying to use it on members directory or other site pages will be disappointed.

Since BuddyBoss lacks the ability to have different sidebar areas for own profile and other user’s profile, I understand that you will need conditions to apply.

You can use a plugin such as widget logic
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/widget-logic/

to apply condition.
    The code for the condition will be

bp_is_my_profile()

Please let me know if that works for you or not?

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Fain Fain on #45718

Thanks. I’ll keep that in mind for the future.
    However, I had to deactivate and reactivate all of my plugins to test a completely separate problem not BuddyDev related. Since then, with no actual changes, the widget is staying where it is supposed to.
    No idea why! But, I’ll leave it alone for now and try your suggestion if I have problems in the future.
    Thanks again.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #45726

Hi Fain,
    Thank you.
    I am glad that everything is working finally.

Regards
    Brajesh

The topic ‘ [Resolved] BuddyPress Friends Suggestions Pro not entirely compatible with BuddyBoss’ is closed to new replies.

This topic is: resolved