BuddyDev

Search

[Resolved] BuddyPress Group Badges

• Participant
    Level: Enlightened
    HansRuedi Keller on #25819

Hi Brajesh,
    Would it be possible for you… Sorry, I know that it is possible for you, but would you be interested in creating “BuddyPress Group Badges” based on your Badges plugin for BP users?

For our new environmental protection project here in Switzerland that would be a perfect add-on. The badges would be a sign for different kind of actions, that are taking place in villages (we create a BP group for every village). E.g. a badge for collecting plastic garbage, a badge for lower traffic (we call it «Tempo 30», a badge for availability of environmental coaching etc.

Regards,
    Hans

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #25830

Hi Hans,
    Thank you for the suggestion.

Can you please help me understand the following:-
    1. What a group badge represents?
    2. How do we assign a badge to a user(criteria)?
    3. Who manages the group badges?(site admin, group admin?)

Thank you
    Brajesh

• Participant
    HansRuedi Keller on #25833

Hi Brajesh,
    In Switzerland we actually have a total of 2212 villages (local communities). Every village that is interested in our project will have its own BP group…

1. A group badge should represent something what they do in that particular village on top of basics to protect the environment… what I wrote: a badge for collecting plastic garbage in a separate bag in every household of that village, a badge for slower traffic (we call it «Tempo 30»), a badge for availability of environmental coaching for members of that village, a badge for a free coworking space what they provide in that village, a badge for car/carpool or bike sharing or availabilty of … (we already have endless ideas)

2. The group badges are totally independent from users or user-criteria. It’s the village, that particular community (other words the BP group) what gets the badge. They have not directly something do with the BP Members of that group. The group represents the village, that’s it.

3. Only Site Admin and Group Admin

Regards, Hans

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #25853

Hi Hans,
    I am sorry but I am not sure I am understanding it correctly.

I am unable to understand how a badge will be able to represent a custom action for the group. I have a few question.

1. is the badge assigned to group and is visible on group and not on user profile?
    2. If yes, allowing group admin to create badge will make it meaningless, why would you like the option for group admin?

Thank you
    Brajesh

• Participant
    HansRuedi Keller on #25856

Hi Brajesh,

1. The badges I’m talking about have nothing to do with any individual user of the community or a group, therefore these badges are never visible on any user profile. You created the user badges, the user badges plugin to give a user a badge or some badges. And now I would like to have the same kind of functionality for groups. There is no relation between any user and a group. Here you can see a real world example from France…
    https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concours_des_villes_et_villages_fleuris
    https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Gr%C3%A9sy-sur-Aix_-_Entr%C3%A9e_sud_D911.jpg#/media/Fichier:Grésy-sur-Aix_-_Entrée_sud_D911.jpg
    That “Villes et Villages Fleuris” sign is such a “badge” in France…
    2. Why is it meaningless to give a group a special sign, some special badges? In my use case a BP group represents a “Ville” or “Village”, a City or a Local Community (Village). An other example is an Award: “The recipient is often a single person or else a representative of a group of people, be it an organisation, a sports team or a whole country…”. Single persion OR a group of people…
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Award
    …and that’s why somebody (the individual BP group admin) needs the role (the “job”) to assign a badge to the group. Not that group admin is “wearing” a badge, it’s only his/her job to apply it to the BP Group.

In my use case I have two BP group types: Groups for Coworkers, groups of interest etc. etc. – and on the other side these groups representing the Villages. The best way to implement these group badges would be to have a switch for every group, same what’s already there for bbpress (“this group can have a Forum”). Label would be: “This group can have badges”…

Regards,
    Hans

• Participant
    HansRuedi Keller on #25857

…and only the SITE Admin should be able to set that Group Badge switch, not an individual Group Admin!

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #25869

Thank you for the clarification Hans.

I do not think we can take on this currently due to our schedule. Let us keep it as an idea and see if it gets some more interests in future.

If it does, we can pickup it again.

Thank you
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Level: Master
    Mike (DesignServe) on #25880

Hi Hans and Brajesh,

I’m joining in because I spend a lot of time researching similar topics so I read yours with interest because it is connected with features that I need. However, I’ll try to limit my comments to things that might help you.

Fundamentally, you have many Groups, you are looking for a sort of taxonomy that can give them a common association and you would like to illustrate that connection with an image, or ‘badge’. You also want to be able to apply several different badges to a group, not just one badge.

In other places (actually from years ago) Brajesh and JJJ have discussed the ‘classification’ of Groups. Some people have sugested that Buddypress Groups aren’t very different to normal WordPress Tags in many ways, and I happen to agree (but I’m not holding myself up as an expert here, I’m just figuring my way through and brainstorming).

There is a plugin that lets you give ‘Types’ to Groups. It doesn’t look very well supported but I’m saying that without trying it out.

https://wordpress.org/plugins/bp-create-group-type/

It might give some ideas to you.

In my research I found many attempts to apply Tags to Groups. There have been several plugins over the years and all of them seem tohave been abandoned, or I can’t find one.

Despite what I said above about Tags and BP Groups being almost synonymous in my opinion, I feel that if I could give a Group a WordPress Tag it would go a long way towards what I want. Because the WordPress Tag could be applied to a Group, Page, Post or many other type of content to ‘connect them’. For example, you could Tag one Group (or several Groups) and that Tag could have an associated image. The Tag could be a method to associate Posts and other content or it could simply be there in order to display an image (badge).

For the sake of discussion, let’s call it a “Label”, a sort of taxonomy, if you will. You can imagine this scenario:

Our imaginary taxonomy called ‘Label’ can be applied to anything. A sort of ‘agnostic taxonomy’. – Users, Posts, Groups, Pages, Member Types, Forums… perhaps even Tags!? What can you do with a label then? You can ‘connect’ many things such as giving a connection between a Group, Users, Member Type and Pages. Or, you could give a Label of ‘Tempo 30’ to any number of Groups. You might give the same Label to a Page that explains what ‘Tempo 30’ is, and by some programming if someone clicks on the ‘Tempo 30’ Label displayed on a Group, they would hyperlink to that ‘Tempo 30 Page’. The Page would be able to list all Groups that have the Label of Tempo 30 by using a search routine.

I’m just describing this to try to understand what you are looking for better and because it seems so similar to what I need. Please let me know if I have missed your point.

Bringing this back to Buddypress Groups, perhaps this alternative scenario would work for you:

If you use Brajesh’s Group Tabs plugin, your Group could have a default landing Tab made by you. On the Tab you could display an image and other content for your Group. An image, some text explanation. Or several images that have the appearance of badges. This would give you a way to display different badges on each Group. I’m sure Brajesh may have some ideas how you could do that. It could be time-consuming in editing all the Groups, I’m not sure at this point because I’m only beginning to investigate the possibilities of Group Tabs.

Going back to my ‘Agnostic Taxonomy’ I have been using the plugin Advanced Custom Fields (ACF) for a few things. What occurs to me is that you should be able to give a Custom Field to a Group and it could be a Custom Field with several checkboxes (it’s a sort of multiple field) for example, thus:

– Tempo 30
    – Carpool
    – Bikes
    – Something else

You would edit the group and check the relevant boxes that you created with ACF.

You could then program the badge (maybe with an associated hyperlink) to appear on the Group if the box is checked. The programming to do that is beyond my capabilities yet but this is the sort of route I am thinking about.

The extension of this possibility, for me, is that I would potentially be able to connect many things. I’ll use a version of your scenario as an extended example. Let’s say your Group has an ACF with Carpool. The ACF with Carpool has an image field and hyperlink field. You could have:

The image with hyperlink on a Group
    The image with hyperlink on a User, to display on their profile or on a forum post or a page they authored.
    The image with hyperlink on a Page that is about the Carpool topic
    The hyperlink on any of these could take you to a page where you can describe the Carpool, list Groups that participate, list Members who participate, list related topics, forums, blog posts, link to websites, display pdF downloads about your Carpool, show a video and so on.

For me at least, this is the broad functionality I would like. I’m coming to WordPress from a different system where these connections are trivially easy to do so I’m struggling with topics similar to yours and I’m surprised that WordPress doesn’t already have these features available.

I talked a lot, thanks for listening and I hope it gives some ideas to you and Brajesh that might help you. I won’t divert your thread further but I will follow it with interest.

Best wishes,
    Mike

• Participant
    Level: Master
    Mike (DesignServe) on #25887

Adding this which I found which I think is the official info about Group Types:

https://codex.buddypress.org/developer/group-types/

And a Group can have more than one type.

I’m thinking that if a Group can have a Type then I’m sure it is not a big step for a Type to have a badge 🙂

Maybe another possibility is to use some feature of Brajesh’s plugin Blog Categories for Groups.

Brajesh will know all of the pros and cons about these points I’m certain.

Good luck.

• Participant
    HansRuedi Keller on #25914

Hi Brajesh,
    Hi Mike,

Thanks a lot for your replies, and first of all and most important: I really like @designserve input, your wording. Yes, I’m talking about LABELS and not Badges. I used the word Badges because of that User Badges plugin, but for all these “awards” or special qualities a group, a village, will have, Label is absolutely the best word, and one that is widely used. “BuddyPress Group Labels” should be the name of that plugin.

And yes, the first step should now be a BUDDYDEV plugin for *Group Categories*. I’m definitely not interested in having another “code provider” for only one plugin as part of my installation. In fact it’s not only the total number of plugins used what will make your site rocksolid, it’s also important to have consistent extensions… I need group categories mainly to have one “division” for these villages (up to 2000) and another one for internal working groups!

Regards, Hans

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This topic is: resolved