BuddyDev

Search

[Resolved] BuddyPress Moderation Tools for restricting new members from posting in forums?

• Participant
    Level: Initiated
    Tim Wilson on #29301

Hello,

We are building our new BuddyBoss forum site and looking for some of the moderation controls that we have in our current custom PHP forum site. The most important of these is that for all new members, ALL forum posts are placed into a moderation queue, and must be approved before being made public.

It appears from the feature page for your Moderation Tools plug-ins that this kind of auto-moderation is available for Activity and Activity Comments, but that is not where we need it. Because our emphasis is on forums, we will not even have Activity feeds available in the first version of the new site. Forums and articles (WP posts) where people may comment, plus an overall feed that combines them, but we will not allow people to interact with the feed directly. We want posts in the forums only.

We would like to be able to set all new accounts to moderate all activity by default, then be able to unmoderate accounts so that they may post freely once we have satisfied ourselves that this person is likely to be a good citizen. After that, we will rely on your Report buttons to flag inappropriate posts. 🙂 And if some accounts need to be moderated forever, we would like to be able to do that too — all forum posts in a moderation queue before they are public.

Will BuddyPress Moderation Tools allow us to do this with our forums?

Thank you!

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #29305

Hi Tim,
    Welcome to BuddyDev.

The Moderation tools plugin does offer auto moderation for bbPress forum topic & replies. You can set to to make sure all the topics/replies need approval.

We also offer whitelisting user roles. So, if you white list a role, their content will not be reported/moderated.

As far as I see, we do not offer a way to identify if a user was white listed by admins earlier and they should not be auto moderated(roles is fine).

I will be glad to add whitelisting of individual user by admin in our upcoming release.

Please do let me know if you have any other question.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Tim Wilson on #29324

Hello Brajesh,

Thank you for your reply and the welcome! I have many more BuddyDev tools on my shopping list for when our new site is up and running, but I have a few more questions about how Moderation Tools works.

— Our current site has over 200,000 active users, all whitelisted. We would like them to be whitelisted when we activate them in the new site we are building, rather than having to whitelist them individually.

— Any NEW users who create accounts should be automoderated for forum topics and replies, as well as article comments, until we whitelist their accounts.

Is this feature set available now, or is it something you would have to develop?

One way to deal with the mass import is to be able to set automoderation *by users* globally, so that on our first import, everybody is whitelisted by default, and after that, nobody is whitelisted by default. Does this make sense? I am happy to try to explain it better.

Thank you again!

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #29332

Hi Tim,
    Thank you.

1. For existing white listed users, my suggestion will be to use the option of whitelisted role in the plugin. If these users have certain role, you can simply whitelist that role and all users will be whitelisted.

We do not have a way to differentiate between and & existing user.

2. My suggestion will be to setup a role for signup which is different from existing users. If this role is not white listed, their content will be held in moderation if you enable that.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Tim Wilson on #29339

>”My suggestion will be to setup a role for signup which is different from existing users. If this role is not white listed, their content will be held in moderation if you enable that.”

I like the sound of this! How would it work? Where would we set the roles — in BuddyPress forums or in BuddyDev Moderation Tools?

Here is how I imagine it working: anyone who creates a new account is automatically assigned the role “Moderated” or “New Member” or something similar. All of their activity would be moderated until we change their role to another role, maybe just “Member”. (We will eventually have other roles for members.)

I know that BuddyPress has its own toolset for managing user roles, as does WordPress, and this is why I am confused about the source of the role identities, and where I would be assigning the moderated or non-moderated state for these roles.

Thank you for your help! The entire world of WordPress and Buddypress is new to me, and I have a lot to learn! I am grateful for tools like yours to help with this, and for developers like you who are so supportive of new customers!

Cheers,
    Tim

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #29371

Hi Tim,
    I am sorry for the delayed reply.

You can set it from Settings->general screen of WordPress. BuddyPress will use that.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Tim Wilson on #29375

Outstanding news, Brajesh! Thank you!

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #29394

You are welcome.

The topic ‘ [Resolved] BuddyPress Moderation Tools for restricting new members from posting in forums?’ is closed to new replies.

This topic is: resolved