BuddyDev

Search

BuddyPress Multi Network Setup

• Participant
    Level: Enlightened
    Milo on #533

Hi Brajesh,
    One concept I seem to be having trouble wrapping my head around in this Multi Network environment (with multisite) is how to set up the actual domains that the networks are on. I have an existing “Main Domain” of course but when I add a new domain should this be a mapped domain on the same ip? Or should this be a stand alone domain with a WP install etc. of its own? I am just confused on this because of course Multisite requires it’s own stand alone IP.
    I added a domain using the WPMU Dev mapping tool and everything seemed to work ok but I have 2 issues…

1) The index page no matter what page I set it too does not work I get a configuration error (while the same pages work when the are NOT set as the index).
    2) When I map a domain then add a network with the mapped domain I of course get the same instance of the site twice.

Thanks

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #534

Hi Milo,
    With BuddyPress Multi network there is no specific settings for domain mapping(It does not need ). If you configure domain mapping properly, It will work out of the box.

The concept of domain mapping on multisite is that you have the same database but instead of using sub domain/directory style child blogs, you map these child to Independent domains.

Please check and make sure that Multisite domain mapping is working properly and then you can try the multi network plugin.

• Participant
    Milo on #535

Sorry confused a bit still… So mapping is not necessary at all when using the Multi Network Plugin? As long as the DNS etc. is setup correctly on that 2nd domain that I want to build the separate network on it will work with your plugin installed?
    Also yes the mapping plugin is set up correctly I am using the same configuration on 4 other Multisite networks that we have. I have never used Multi Network before however.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by Milo.
  • Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #537

Hi Milo,
    Sorry about the confusion.

1. If you want to have a separate domain for the second site the first thing you need to do is use a Multisite Domain mapping plugin and configure the mapping. Check if it works properly by visiting the second domain. Most of the domain mapping plugin will also give you the option to force redirect to your new domain when accessed directly(the sub site). So, That should fix your two instance issue.

2. once you are done with that, just enable Multisite network plugin and activate BuddyPress. Visiting the dashboard/settings will lead to make it work as earlier.

What I am trying to say is the only thing you need to think is about configuring Domain mapping plugin to work properly(setting up DNS etc). This multi network plugin does not have any special requirement or any issue whether you use domain mapping or not.

• Participant
    Milo on #538

Ok I think I am following you now I also think I see where I went wrong. As for buddyPress does this get Network activated or do I just enable it on a per site basis? One install for the Main domain then one for my newly created 2nd Network Domain

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #539

BuddyPress should be network activated. I haven’t tested the per site configuration with multisite & bp multi network, can’t say much about that.

The topic ‘BuddyPress Multi Network Setup’ is closed to new replies.

This topic is: not resolved