I did some findings about the purpose of the poke button in facebook and this are my findings.
1. The poke button is a feature that lets users send a single virtual notification to a friend. No more, no less.
2. The poke action is meaningless
3. The meaning of the poke action is given and interpreted by the person being poked. This could also cause suspense or confusion.
4. the most popular association to being poked is mostly as a sign of flirting and can be very useful in dating sites.
Now I think the best way to bridge the gap in functionality and meaning is give the poke button a set of meaningful actions. For example
1. Clicking the poke button will trigger a popup
2. The popup will contain the list to poke action or messages to be sent
3. The poke action or message can be any form of compliment like (wink, lets be friends, please follow me, add me as your friend, I need a job, Good business lets be partners, hello, I like your profile, Awesome business, I like your brand, write more, your are gorgeous)
4. This actions will give the user being poked more meaning as to the reason why they are being poked.
5. The poke button can now be applied to be used by various member types like business, brands, teacher, principal, student etc imagine a student poking a teacher without the button having any meaning, the communication between the student and teacher would be weird, awkward and uncomfortable.
6. The poke action would be a very powerful way to communicate and create fast and instant connections without the user thinking to deep about what to say to a person of interest.
The plugin would now have a setting page where by admins can create the list of poke actions or messages something like this plugin https://wordpress.org/plugins/buddypress-compliments/.
The plugin would also have this settings.
1. Ability to enable users to disable being poked
2. Ability to set poke frequency to discourage notification spam or disturbance. That is a user can only poke another user either once, twice, 3 times.
2. Ability to disable the poke feature for specific member types.
3. Poke button action should work via ajax to save resource by not reloading the entire page, server performance needs to be considered.
Thanks what do you think?
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.