BuddyDev

Search

[Resolved] Buddypress Unread Message Count

Tagged: , ,

• Participant
    Level: Enlightened
    Mwale on #17147

Hello,

I am trying to show the number of unread messages a user has, but can’t find the code anywhere. Please help 🙂

• Keymaster
    Level: Yogi
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Ravi on #17149

Hello Mwale,

Thank you for asking. There is a message function with name “messages_get_unread_count( $user_id = 0 )” it returns unread message count for the user id. Please try this.

Regards
    Ravi

• Participant
    Mwale on #17151

Hi Ravi,

Thank you for your reply 🙂

Unfortunately, that leads to a fatal error ‘undefined function’. I am adding it like so:

<a id="user-messages" href="/messages/" class="msg">Messages <span class="alert_count"><?php if( class_exists( 'Buddypress' ) ) {echo messages_get_unread_count( $user_id = 0 );} ?></span></a>

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #17161

Hi Mwale,

1. Please make sure you have BuddyPress Messages component enable where you are trying to use the function.

2. For fetching current user’s count, you can use

<a id="user-messages" href="/messages/" class="msg">Messages <span class="alert_count"><?php if( class_exists( 'Buddypress' ) ) {echo messages_get_unread_count( get_current_user_id() );} ?></span></a>

I do suggest that instead of checking for BuddyPress class, you might want to check function_exists for the above function. That way, if messages component is disabled, it won’t cause fatal error.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Mwale on #17191

Hey Brajesh!

Thank you so much! Everything works fine thanks to you 🙂

I have also changed the condition to ‘function_exists’, thanks!

Kind regards,
    Mwale

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #17195

Thank you MWale,

Glad that it worked.
    Have a great day 🙂

Regards
    Brajesh

The topic ‘ [Resolved] Buddypress Unread Message Count’ is closed to new replies.

This topic is: resolved