BuddyDev

Search

BuddyPress User Profile Tabs Creator Pro – how to link tabs?

• Participant
    Level: Yogi
    calu on #17306

‘Activating search tab LEAVES the member profile information, tabs, profile image and cover image’

*in BP user profile tabs. When clicking Search in Header menu, the profile information disappears as well
    https://imgur.com/a/mHll6Sx

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #17307

Please see my last reply.

Since you are only linking to another page, clicking on the tab is taking you to some other page on your site which is not a user’s profile and that’s why. You can check the url in browser to see that you are visiting non profile page.

If your goal is to create tab and show the content of that tab on user profile, you can do that.

For that purpose, you can remove the “Tab Link” value and add the content to be displayed in the first sub tab.

In your case the content will be the search form(It seems you are using BP Profile search, you can use their shortcode) and for members list, please see my previous reply.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    calu on #17308

Hi Brajesh, thanks for your prompt reply.

I is a bit complex to me, but it is late, and I will look at your explanation again tomorrow.

Just to rule out misunderstandings, what I want is this, the users own profile to be displayed at all time, no matter what tab you activate.

https://imgur.com/a/mHll6Sx

When I talk about Search, it is not the BP standard search component, but the BP Profile Search plugin, which I created a tab for earlier with the shortcode.

• Participant
    calu on #17309

Note, I wrote my last post, before I had read your second answer, thanks, i’ll look at it tomorrow

• Participant
    calu on #17314

Hi Brajesh, I understand your explanation now, I can see the difference between having a shortcode to add content and linking to another page, in this case the members directory.

‘If you do not want to link to directory and want to show the members list inside the profile tab’
    Yes that is what I had hoped for.

‘(I do not think it is a good idea as Buddypress already provides the directory)’

This I don’t understand in relation to my design wish?

Maybe it is because I do not understand the difference between BP components and BP pages, why is Members a page, not a component?

Regards
    Carsten

• Participant
    calu on #17315

Hi, I have a login question
    I would like to have my Search profile tab as landing page after logging in, and have marked ‘set it as default component’.

A lot of plugins offer login redirections. I have been using Login with ajax for redirection, but would like to cut down unnecessary extensions.
    With this extension deactivated, I am redirected to my home page.

Documentation:
    ‘Allows you to set a tab as the default landing page for user profiles. In other words, when you click on a user link, that tab will be opened by default.’

Maybe I read the documentation wrong, but can a user be redirected to this component after logging in?

I see no other effects after marking this option like the documentation says?

Regards

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #17318

Hi Carsten,

1. Login redirect:- No, The plugin does not redirect on login. What you read in documentation is correct too.

It sets the default landing tab for profile. In other words, when you click a user’s name in members directory(or any list) or activity stream etc, you are redirected to user’s profile. What tab is shown by default is controlled by that settings.

You may use my plugin redirect to profile to achieve what you are looking for

https://wordpress.org/plugins/bp-redirect-to-profile/

That plugin is less than 10 lines of code.

About BuddyPress pages:- There are two things
    1. collections- Like members list, groups list etc. It is called directory
    2. Single Items page(e.g User’s profile, or a Group) show information related to that item(user or group in context)

For example, “Friends” menu in your profile shows your friends.

The directories normally show the global(sitewide) list of items and provide a few ways to filter/search it.

BuddyPress User Profile tabs plugin allows you to create single user profile tabs(navigation items on user’s profile).

The tabs can be of two types:-
    Link:- Either it can link to another page on your site or anywhere else.
    Component:- In this case, the actual content is shown on user’s profile/some-slug page

Since the purpose of profile is to show information related to that particular user, It does not make sense to show the Search Form or the All Members List there. That’s why I recommended not showing it.

If you want to show it, You can. You will need some way to embed the “Members List” and shortcode is the preferred way.

I am not sure if there exists any plugin that allows members list as shortcode. If there is one, Please embed it.

Still, I will suggest to reconsider embedding the whole members list on a user’s profile.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    calu on #17328

Hi Brajesh, Thank you for your thorough explanation, clarifying the different concepts in BP. This is very useful, you should rewrite it as part of the documentation for BuddyPress User Profile Tabs Creator Pro.

Regarding embedding the whole members list on a user’s profile, I know, this maybe not the intention with the user profile in BP, but from a UE point of view, I still think it makes sense, but it all depends on the type of site you’re developing.

Regards
    Carsten

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #17330

Hi Carsten,
    Thank you.

1. I think the plugin does not need documentation about directory as it will be more confusing for most of the people. The name is User Profile Tabs and that should suffice for most.

In case of other members, I and my team do assist on the forum and clarify. So, I will leave it as it is.

I do agree that different sites have different requirements and they can have their own reasons for organizing the members list in this way. If you do think it is needed, I can help with the shortcode.

The layout may not look great but it will work. Let me know and I will help with the basic shortcode for this.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    calu on #17333

One argument for me, for embedding members list and other pages to User Profile Tabs is the consistent GUI.

When clicking a link, like members list, all BP navigation are gone and there is no back option either.

Users suddenly have to adapt and use another menu, the main menu, to navigate to eg. messages or notifications.

This is very confusing. especially if your main menu on mobile turns into a hamburger.

regards

Carsten

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This topic is: not resolved