BuddyDev

Search

[BUG] Comment replies on posts from Blog Categories For Groups plugin crash site

• Participant
    Level: Initiated
    Hob Nob on #32801

Your Blog Categories For Groups plugin is great! I really love it, but there it has a serious bug.

Bug description:

If someone creates a group post, writes a comment on that post and then immediately decides to reply to their own comment, the entire website will hang and crash.

I have been trying to isolate this bug all morning and I’m now sure it’s caused by your plugin.

Steps to recreate the bug:

1) Install and activate the Blog Categories For Groups plugin
    2) Install and activate the BP Simple Front End Post plugin
    3) Create a group
    4) Make a post in the group by clicking the “Blog” tab and then “Create a New Post” link
    5) Once post is published, make a comment.
    6) Without refreshing the page, make a reply to your original comment
    7) Now the website hangs.
    8) If you refresh the post, and try to make another top level comment and immediate reply to that comment, it can crash the entire website.

This is really bad for me because the functionality from Blog Categories For Groups is core to my site, but this bug can also take down the entire site. Only restarting the server fixes it.

Hoping you can find a solution for this. I’ve been trying to solve it but my coding skills are not as good as yours, so I was hoping you would be able to please help me.

In case you need it, this is a screenshot of my Blog Categories For Groups plugin settings: https://imgur.com/a/5JCI2nN

If you need any more info please let me know.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #32810

Hi,
    Welcome to BuddyDev.

Thank you for reporting the issue, steps to create it and the settings. We will be egtting back to you on Monday with the update/solutions.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Sri Visjaya Yogi on #32846

Urggh this sounds horrible… Good thing I’m reading here so I can beware of it 😀

• Participant
    Hob Nob on #32981

Hey guys, any update on this?

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #32995

Hi,
    we have this bug confirmed. we will be pushing an update over the weekend.

Thank you
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Hob Nob on #33125

Great to hear!

Thanks so much for your help 🙂

How do I go about downloading the updated version?

The download page (https://buddydev.com/plugins/blog-categories-for-groups/) says the last update was Thursday, 25 April, 2019. So I think that is the old version with the bug.

• Participant
    Hob Nob on #33232

Hello? Is it please possible for someone to link me to the updated plugin?

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #33255

Hi,
    I am sorry for not replying earlier.

@ravisharma
    confirmed me the bug and I confirmed that to you in my previous reply.

When I tried to recreate later for fixing, It did not happen for me. I was not able to recreate it for any group. I asked @ravisharma for the steps to recreate and even he was unable to recreate again.

Are you able to predictably create it? I followed your above steps and no such thing happened(@ravisharma was able to produce the error once).

is there any way for me to check it on your site or some way to predictable create it more than once. I believe some recursion is happening(from the message Ravi shared with me).

Thank you
    Brajesh

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This topic is: not resolved