BuddyDev

Search

[Resolved] Categories for Group Blogs

• Participant
    Level: Enlightened
    Diana on #3286

Hello,

Is it possible to restrict certain categories & tags for each group? I admin a single WP site with 8 (eight) groups. These are not sophisticated users so front-end posting is just the trick for them.

But each time they post, they’ll be presented with 7 categories & tags (for the other groups) that are not pertinent, as well as some useful general categories & tags (e.g. “reviews”, “news”, “events”).

It is reasonably possible to:
    1) Detect for which group the front-end post form is being displayed.
    2) Display the category & tag associated with that group (possibly auto-generated at group formation).
    3) Display all the other (non-group associated) categories & tags.
    4) NOT display the category & tag specifically associated with the other 7 groups.

And just for grins, to display categories & tags either in side-by-side columns or in drop-down lists (ability to choose multiple categories & tags) so that the checkbox lists won’t get inordinately long requiring page scrolling.

I tried to purchase a month’s support for this plugin, which is AWESOME, but got a message that “your cart is empty”.

Running WordPress 4.4.2, BuddyPress 2.5.1, single site on a subdomain of a non-WP site. “Evolve” theme. BCFG & Front-end post. Everything working smoothly but can provide list of all active plugins upon request.

http://wp.interiorhorsecouncil.com/groups/ which is in development, you can wander around most of the site without logging in.

Thank you very much for the consideration.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #3289

Hi Diana,
    Welcome to BuddyDev.

I have a few things to share and a few questions before I provide the code

1. Limiting Categories to selected ones:- It was a bug in Blog Categories for groups. It should have only listed selected terms. We are on it and a fix is due tomorrow.

Now a few questions:-
    1. Do you still need extra code after the update for listing terms? It will only list the terms(category) selected for the current group

2. How do we automatically assign categories to the group on creation? Is there any criteria?

Can you please tell me if the requirements will change after the fix?

Thank you for showing interest in Buying the support. It was a caching issue. refreshing and re adding will fix that.

Thank you
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Diana on #3298

Hi Brajesh,

Let me see how things go after the bug fix in #1. That may take care of everything.

Take care,
    Diana

• Participant
    Diana on #3300

Hi Brajesh,

I did a bit more thinking about this, although the bug fix in #1 will get things started.

It would be most flexible to allow admin/group moderators to be presented with 3 options for each categories & tag that could be associated with a group:

Option 1) these categories or tags will ALWAYS be associated with the group blog entries. They will be listed for a blogger but cannot be changed by him/her.

Option 2) these categories or tags will NOT be associated with the group by a group member and will not be displayed to him/her.

If neither option is chosen for a particular category or tag, it MAY be selected by a blogging member to be a category or tag associated with the blog, but it doesn’t have to be.

Caching issue in purchasing support appears to have been fixed. Thank you.

Diana

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #3301

Hi Diana,
    Thank you.

Please give us til tomorrow(We could release an update today) and then, I will belooking for the more details.

PS: Thank you for buying the support.

Thank you
    Brajesh

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #3311

Hi Diana,
    I have just pushed an update.

Can you please upgrade to 1.2.4(Please make sure to save the settings twice in the Settings->BCG Settings)

After the update, Please do let me know the changes you need.

Thank you
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Diana on #3312

This plugin is the best thing since sliced bread! Does exactly what I need. No changes needed after the update. Great flexibility, nice user interface. Woo-hooo!!!!

Thank you very much. You have saved me much hassle and our non-profit users much confusion.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #3313

Thank you for the kind Words Diana.
    I am happy that it worked for you. Please do feel free to let me know if you need any assistance in future.
    All the best with your project 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This topic is: resolved