BuddyDev

Search

Censoring bad words/ swear words in Buddypress activities and private messages

• Participant
    Level: Enlightened
    Edward on #20997

Hi Brajesh,

Is there a plugin that you can recommend for the above. Don’t seem to be able to find any.

Thanks for your advise.

Best regards
    Edward

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #20998

Hi Edward,
    We have profanity filtering plugin(We developed 1.5 year ago). It has been on hold as we could not determine when the admin will want to do the filtering and how do we notify efficiently. Applying regular expression on everything is not the best way.

If you can help me understand what filtering you want to do(from site admins point of view), I will push this plugin forward and offer a free copy to you.

Thank you
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Edward on #21009

Hi Brajesh,

Thanks so much for your kind offer!

Basically, we just want to keep our community clean and safe i.e. no profanity in all postings including in private messages. Hopefully, your plugin can offer a way to input a list of keywords to flag or deny when people are posting bad or swear words.

We’ve tried putting the keyword list in the Discussions setting but it was too restrictive and people were not able to post even when there was absolutely nothing wrong with the content (i.e no profanity, etc).

On another note, since our community requires registration and there are explicit community rules (including suspension for infringements), is this sufficient safeguard even WITHOUT any profanity filter? (people can’t post if they are not registered).

Would really appreciate your invaluable feedback.

Thanks again

Best regards
    Edward

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #21032

Hi Edward,
    Thank you.

Validating and preventing at the time of information storage will be a lot more efficient. We can certainly do that.

I will update you on the status next week.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Edward on #21045

Hi Brajesh,

Thanks again. Looking forward to another great piece of work from you!

Best regards
    Edward

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #21065

Thank you Edward.

Regards
    Brajesh

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This topic is: not resolved