BuddyDev

Search

[Resolved] Consistent naming of plugins for better organization in Installed Plugins

• Participant
    Level: Enlightened
    Nick on #39039

Given that there isn’t yet a BuddyDev install manager, I think it would be extremely useful if all of the plugins at least had the same naming convention. Some start with BP, others BuddyPress, others their plugin name (BuddyBlog Pro), and one is even “(BuddyDev) BP”. As a result I have 20 plugins strewn across the Installed Plugins list.

It seems to me that the best prefix would be BuddyDev, since BP and BuddyPress might apply to other plugins as well.

Is this something that could be implemented?

Thanks!

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #39048

Hi Nick,
    Thank you for the suggestions.

We do not plan to name our plugin with “BuddyDev”. We will be dropping it from the title in future(for the plugins we are using it).

Plugin’s do not need to be organised by vendor, they should be by functionality. Also, some of the time a good name is much batter like BuddyBlog or BuddyCircle etc instead of a descriptive one.

I am sorry, we are unable to work on this suggestion.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Nick on #39052

Sorry, please allow me to try to clarify this by giving an example from another suite of plugins that I use – GeoDirectory:

GeoDirectory
    GeoDirectory Advanced Search Filters
    GeoDirectory Ajax Duplicate Alert
    GeoDirectory BuddyPress Integration
    GeoDirectory Compare Listings
    GeoDirectory Custom Map Styles
    GeoDirectory Custom Post Types
    GeoDirectory Embed
    GeoDirectory List Manager
    GeoDirectory Location Manager
    GeoDirectory Marker Cluster

The standard GeoDirectory prefix allows them to all be grouped together while maintaining descriptive names for each plugin. You already do the same, I’m simply asking that you standardize the various prefixes that you currently use – BP, BuddyPress, (BuddyDev), etc… into one standard Prefix and then have a descriptive name following it. Such as,

BuddyDev Profile Data Control
    BuddyDev Default Tab Group
    BuddyDev BuddyBlog Pro

Moreover, I think it would be a major step backwards if you got rid of the prefixes altogether – like BuddyBlog Pro or BuddyCircle. There are many reasons for this:

1. This makes the list extremely disorganized and harder to activate/deactivate for debugging, as well as just to navigate generally. If they are all grouped, I can find or skip past them all instantly.
    2. It loses your branding
    3. It loses the value of appearing to be a part of a suite of plugins which should all work together well. People will be less likely to install them if they are in the plugin directory.

In fact, I can’t see a single good reason for wanting to remove the Brand prefix and go with a pure descriptor.

I really hope you will reconsider your plans, and instead consider standardizing the prefixes.

• Participant
    Nick on #39053

You could use anything as the prefix, by the way – BP, BD, etc… – not just BuddyDev. What matters is that it is standardized.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #39054

Hi Nick,
    Thank you.

Geodirectory is a plugin name and other are addons. Geo directory is not the name of the company behind it. So, the naming is consistent. We do the same for “MediaPress” addons.

This is a normal and accepted behaviour for addons to have the major plugin name in title like “Plugin functionality name” or “abc for XYZ plugin”.

You do not deactivate plugins for vendors, you do it for individual features.

I am very sorry but we will not be able to entertain this.

You may use plugin organizer or similar plugins which allows you to group plugins and selectively activate/deactivate it.
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/plugin-organizer/

Regards
    Brajesh

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #39055

Here is an example of naming for MediaPress
    https://buddydev.com/plugins/category/mediapress/

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Nick on #39056

I think we’re just having a miscommunication, and the MediaPress link proves this. Every single one of those has the prefix “MediaPress”. That’s perfect!

So, instead of BuddyDev, please consider using BuddyPress or BP, or whatever prefix you think is appropriate for your suite of BuddyPress Plugins. That’s all I’m asking for!

I will check out the Plugin Organizer plugin. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #39058

Hi Nick,
    Thank you. That makes a lot of sense.

Except for a few instances where a plugin will have their own addons(e.x. BuddyBlgo Pro will have multiple addons), we do plan to use “BuddyPress” as the prefix for all of our BuddyPress/BuddyBoss plugins. If a plugin is only meant for BuddyBoss, we will be using something to denote that.

Thank you
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Nick on #39059

Glad we’re on the same page finally!

That’s fine – I understand that there will be exceptions for things like BuddyBlog Pro. I’m mostly referring to plugins like the following:

(BuddyDev) BP Deactivate Account
    BP Default Group Tab
    BP xProfile Location
    etc…

If they could all use BuddyPress, or whatever you like, that would be great.

Anyway, the Plugin Organizer looks like it will solve this problem for me immediately, as well as for all of my other plugins by being able to put them in groups. Thanks for sharing it!

I still think it is worth standardizing the prefixes though!

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #39060

Hi Nick,
    Thank you.

Yes, we will update the names to use BuddyPress instead of BP. We will start doing with each of our upcoming release of this plugin.

Thank you for considering Plugin Organizer for now.

Regards
    Brajesh

The topic ‘ [Resolved] Consistent naming of plugins for better organization in Installed Plugins’ is closed to new replies.

This topic is: resolved