BuddyDev

Search

[Resolved] Customising the member profile – are there any good tutorials.

• Participant
    Level: Initiated
    Matthew Brown on #9328

Now I have dealt with the sidebar that should not be there (thanks to Brajesh Singh who is my personal code hero today) I ready to think about doing something a bit more ambitious with my member profile view.

I was thinking about creating a responsive sidebar to the right of the member profile. Mostly to contain the item-nav section. If that was all I wanted to do I could set a viewport wider than say 800 and just set some floats to #item-nav.

However, what I am thinking is that it would be nice of the sidebar contained profile information and other things relevant to the member in question. Maybe some widgets and such.

Clearly, I am going to need to create a custom template or theme part. However, I have to confess I found the BuddyPress codex less than helpful when it came to figuring out what I need to do to make that happen.

What I need is some advice to get me on the right road. Where do I even start? I found the legacy folder and 166 files in BuddyPress but that’s a lot of code to review when I don’t really understand what it does. (I could read all the code and figure it out eventually but that is a very painful way to approach things). I am hoping that other people have made custom member profiles and there is a decent tutorial somewhere.

Any advice greatly received.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #9341

Hi Matthew,
    Thank you.

I will suggest looking into the plugins/buddypress/bp-templates/bp-legacy/buddypress/members/single directory.

Specially home.php(how each component is loaded). Looking at the home.php will give you all the idea you need for customizing.

PS: You can override all the templates in buddypress by copying the file to your theme( and ignoring the bp-templates/bp-legacy/ part).

So, if you want to override /buddypress/bp-templates/bp-legacy/buddypress/members/members-loop.php you will copy it to your theme/buddypress/members/members-loop.php

Hope that helps.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Level: Initiated
    Matthew Brown on #9441

Thank you. That is exactly the information I need to get started.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #9456

You are welcome 🙂

The topic ‘ [Resolved] Customising the member profile – are there any good tutorials.’ is closed to new replies.

This topic is: resolved