BuddyDev

Search

Display user role change in Activity stream

• Participant
    Level: Initiated
    Mitch on #6816

I was trying to figure a way to display a change in user role as an update to the BuddyPress Activity stream.

For example, when a user first registers on our site, they are set as a ‘subscriber.’ I have removed new_member from displaying in the activity stream; however, I would like to display when the ‘subscriber’ is upgraded to ‘member’ (which we approve manually).

Display something like:

“Username became a member” (or ‘Username was upgraded to member’)
    2 hours ago

Is this possible with one of your plugins? or with some code to bp-custom?

Thanks and have a great day.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #6821

Hi Mitch,
    Please put this code in your bp-custom.php

function buddydev_record_role_change_activity( $user_id, $role, $old_roles  ) {

$role = get_role( $role );
    	if ( ! $role ) {
    		return ;
    	}
    	//Brajesh has become Author
    	$action = sprintf( '%s has become %s', bp_core_get_user_displayname( $user_id ), $role->name );

xprofile_record_activity( array(
    		'user_id'   => $user_id,
    		'action'    => $action,
    		'content'   => '',
    		'type'      => 'role_changed'
    	) );

}
    add_action( 'set_user_role', 'buddydev_record_role_change_activity', 10, 3 );

Hope that helps.

• Participant
    Mitch on #6871

Hello Brajesh,

This is great. It worked first try, thanks so much.

There were a couple of things I wanted to see if I could add. In the above code, it displays the user name, but it does not link like a normal activity post. I searched around and tried a few solutions (trial and error) 🙂 until finally this worked (so I thought):

I changed:

$action = sprintf( '%s has become %s', bp_core_get_user_displayname( $user_id ), $role->name );

to

$action = sprintf( '<a href="'. bp_get_loggedin_user_link() .'">%s</a> has become %s', bp_core_get_user_displayname( $user_id ), $role->name );

I thought I was smart, only to find that link to MY profile, not to the user listed in the activity update. Whoops. 🙂

If I wanted to make this user name display link to the user’s profile like a traditional activity stream update, how would I change this code?

Thanks, and have a great day!

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #6872

Hi Mitch,
    You may use this one

$action = sprintf( '%s has become %s', bp_core_get_userlink( $user_id ), $role->name );

Hope that helps.

• Participant
    Mitch on #6888

Excellent Brajesh, thank you. I was close. In my guessing, I had also tried bp_core_get_user_link 🙂

But what I can’t figure out is why ‘ $role->name ‘ displays the wrong WP Role. This code displays the default WP/S2Member role name, even though I have specifically changed the S2/WP role name (via User Role Editor).

I also tried ‘ role->display_name ‘ and ‘ $user_info->role ‘ – neither worked (at least I tried) 🙂 and I just don’t know enough for where to look to resolve. Any ideas?

Thanks again. Have a great day.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #6890

Hi Mitch,
    Yes, you were almost correct 🙂

About the role name, can you please ask S2Members team if their roles are available via get_role? I am not a user of s2members, It will be better if they can provide some information.

Thank you
    Brajesh

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This topic is: not resolved