BuddyDev

Search

Don't want to allow members to edit even once in Non Editable Profile Fields

• Participant
    Level: Initiated
    ekolipik on #824

Hello,

BuddyPress Non Editable Profile Fields plug-in is really great for many uses.
    It lets users to edit the field once but I need it to be totally non editable. I need it to be only edited by admin. There are many people looking for this feature and BuddyPress Non Editable Profile Fields in the nearest but not exactly the same.

Is there a way to make it ?

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #825

Hi Ekolipik,
    Welcome back to BuddyDev.

I just found that there already exists a plugin that only allows admins to edit the profile fields
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/buddypress-admin-only-profile-fields/

Does that help? If not, please do let me know and I will be happy to create one 🙂

Thank you
    Brajesh

• Participant
    ekolipik on #834

I’m using that plug-in but that only makes the field hidden. So only admin can edit. But I and many others needs a visible but only editable by admin field.

Many people would like to use it if you create one.

Thank you.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #891

Hi,
    Apologies for delayed follow up.
    I will post some code later today that will allow you do it.
    Just to be sure
    1. Field should be only admin editable
    2. field should be visible to all.

Is that correct?

• Participant
    ekolipik on #901

Hi,

Yes, that’s totally correct. Thank you for your reply. I’m waiting.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #907

Thank you. Just completed writing the code. Any suggestion for name before I push it on github? I am not sure what should I say it.

Here is what I have done.
    1. Created a visibility level. The visibility level is visible to admin on the edit profile page. A user can not see this visibility level (in the radio list) and any fields with this visibility will not be visible on the register/edit profile page for the user. On all other pages, they will be visible.

The benefit of using Visibility level is that any field can be marked with this.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #930

Hi Ekolipik,
    Hope you are doing well.
    Can you please suggest a better name? I can put the plugin online then.

• Participant
    ekolipik on #953

Hello Brajesh,

I’m sorry for my late reply. I just saw your reply today. The name can be “Symbolic User Roles”.
    Because I will use this to define user roles in a site but not as the same way of the capabilities. Users will not have any change in their system capabilities but I will just define a symbolic role for them.This is great for real a real life community.

We have a photography club in the university. There are some members who are in the management team. We have a website and all of our members are in the members of the s,te at the same time. I don’t want to give them administrative roles for them on the website. But I just have to define who is in the management tema, who is in the education team ect.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #958

Hi,
    Thank you. I am sorry but that name sounded too much specific.I hope you don’t mind if I name it BuddyPress Readonly Profile Fields.

here you go
    https://github.com/buddydev/bp-readonly-profile-fields

Please do note that while logged in as admin, you will first need to mark a field as Readonly(from visibility drop down).

After that, the field will not be visible to users on their edit profile page.

PS: A side effect is when you are logged in as admin, you will see the “Readonly” visibility on all the fields of user. But setting it for any other field than what you marked in admin will not work. I have done that to save 1 query. If you want to have it on for any field, please let me know and I will enable that.

thank you
    Brajesh

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This topic is: not resolved