BuddyDev

Search

Enable Administrator Post To Certain Category In Group Post

• Participant
    Level: Enlightened
    Propertytips on #20823

Hi Brajesh,

I have a number of categories that I have linked to each group using the “Blog Categories for Group” plugin. Each group has about 3 specific categories to choose to post content to.

All group post are posted to a custom post type called “BLOG” and each member of the group are allowed to post to the group.

Although each member of a group can select any of the 3 categories linked to the group to post to…. what I want to achieve is stop members of the group from posting to 1 – 2 of the categories linked to the group.

Since certain members cannot post into these specific categories I don’t want it to show up as an option for those members to select when they are selecting what category to post to.

Could you please help with the codes to achieve this

Kind Regards

• Participant
    Propertytips on #20963

Hi Brajesh,

Just bumping this topic… Is there a way I can stop members submitting content to a number of categories that I have linked to the group?

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #20975

Hi Propertytips,
    I am sorry,This will need a lot of customization as you will need to decide it on per group basis. I don’t see any simple approach as categories will be group specific. How do we know which category to exclude for a group?

Please let me know and I might have some idea.

Thank you
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Propertytips on #20980

Hi Brajesh,

Let me tell you what I have done for now to get round the problem… not perfect… but I do get round the problem for now

I have a group called “catfish group”

I have 3 categories that I want to attach to a private group

Category 1 – I want catfish group members to be able to post content
    Category 2 – I want catfish group members to be able to post content
    Category 3 – I as the admin want to post to this section but I dont want catfish group members to be able to post here although they should have read access.

I want the members of the catfish group to be able to see and be able to read all the post from the 3 categories however I dont want any catfish group member to post to category 3.

** What I have done so far to achieve what I want **

I created a custom post type called “Blog” and set up the following BLOG categories

Category XX (I left “XX” unticked )
    – subcategory 1 (I ticked “1” to enable members to post to)
    – subcategory 2 (I ticked “2” to enable members to post to)
    – subcategory 3 ( left “3” unticked – this is for Admin post)

I use the “Blog categories for Groups plugin” with the option to “Link to normal site blog post page.”

I use the menu to show CATEGORY XX as the Catfish Group Blog Page

Since Category XX is displayed using the menu… and because it is a main category all the post in sub category 1, 2 and 3 show up on the Category XX Page

** THE RESULTS **

Catfish Group Members can only post to category 1 and 2 but not category 3 or XX

Catfish Group Members can read all the post from category 1, 2 and 3

Group post in 1 and 2 post are both protected since they were ticked as the catfish group category to post to

****The problem****

Category XX and Category 3 are unprotected

This work around is too long and I have to do the same thing for the other 5 groups I have.

*** The Proposed Solution***

A code that we could enter into the bp-custom section that restrict an array of a group of blog category ids that the group members cannot post to … maybe something that restricts users that dont have admin rights

A better alternative will be in the admin panel section… where you can write in a list of categories that members cannot post to but maybe admins can post to.

Hope my explanation is understandable…. a little bit long winded ,,, but difficult to explain…haha

Kind regards

• Participant
    Propertytips on #21031
    This reply has been marked as private.
  • Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #21041
  • Participant
    Propertytips on #21049
  • Participant
    Propertytips on #21215

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This topic is: not resolved