BuddyDev

Search

Future development suggestion – enhance the background image customizers

• Participant
    Level: Master
    Venutius on #1376

Hi Rajesh, I have an enhancement suggestion.

You already have the background image loaders for profiles and Groups, and in addition BP will be shipping with cover image capability.

What I suggest is that you enhance both of your background image plugins to include the ability for people to modify certain aspects of the css for these pages – background color, text color, size etc.

I think with this addition then profiles and groups will benefit from powerful customization options and I think you could have these as premium plugins.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #1380

Hi George,
    Thank you.

The new background in BP is nice. I have been working on one of our premium themes( coming by the end of next week) and have been exploring the options too. I was glad to see your post as I wanted to do something similar in the theme.

The question that arises here is what features we need to make part of this plugin. The current implementation of BuddyPress core background does not give much control to the user but theme designers have full control over the appearance of the background.

If we leave background and move to simple customizer( lite implementation of the WordPress customizer), what controls we want to give to the user?

If we can make a list of feature here, I will be happy to have it by the next weekend when our theme comes.

Thank you
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Level: Master
    Venutius on #1386

One of the drivers behind this request is the introduction of BP Cover Image. It seems to me that this feature is of limited value if the user is unable to set the colour of the BP header information that sits over the cover image as that text will be lost in the background and clearly the colour required is dependent on the image colour that is loaded.

There are two potential other workarounds that could be implimented at site level:

Move the BP header text to under the Cover Image.

Set the BP Header text to have it’s own coloured background thus highlighting itself.

However, in the above scenario, allowing the user to set the text colour of their profile page will have other issues, for example if they set it to white in order for it to display correctly over the profile cover, and yet the background for the rest of the page is white, then the other text would be lost. Hence my suggestion that the user should be able to set both the text colour and also the background colour of the page.

I think in an ideal world I would like to allow my user to set the following features of their profile page:

1. Header image
    2. Cover Image
    3. Cover image text colour
    3. Cover image Text Font
    4. Page background colour
    5. Page text colour
    6. Page text font
    7. Background image

Obviously item 2 is covered by BP 2.4 and other plugins.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #1389

I agree about your concern. A solution I found for my theme is to use a mask like facebook does for my upcoming theme.

Still, These will be useful and I will explore it in next 2-3 days to see upto what extent we can do it.

Thank you
    Brajesh

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This topic is: not resolved