BuddyDev

Search

Group Categories and restricting which ones display.

• Participant
    Level: Initiated
    Phil B on #3511

Hello There,

I have been trying to configure buddy press to allow my users to have a group blog. The thing is I cant seem to get it to restrict the post to the group categories.

Il try and explain.

I have a website with multiple groups on. Each group has an admin and the groups correspond to members who this admin is coaching.

I would like to enable the facility to let each member of the group post a blog in a category for their respective group.

As it is at the moment, I can either remove the categories option when posting a blog, or display it. but doing so gives them the whole lot. I don’t want them posting blogs to the news section of the website.

I’ve installed ‘Blog Categories for Groups’ ‘BP group blog’ ‘BP simple front end post’ and ‘BuddyBlog’ going on what ive read around this website.

The issue is this is something new to me, and I don’t know if I have thought too much into it and installed more plugins than needed.

Would someone be able to guide me in the right direction with this?

The short version is I want each group to have a blog category. Restricted to them, and I only want them to be able to post in that category. I don’t want to give them the option to select any other category.

Hope someone understands! many thanks,

Phil

• Keymaster
    Level: Yogi
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Ravi on #3512

Hi Phill,

Welcome on BuddyDev.

Please disable all above plugins except ‘Blog Categories for Groups’ and ‘BP simple front end post’ and assign single category to each group.

Thank You
    Ravi

• Participant
    Phil B on #3513

Hi Ravi,

Thanks for your reply.

I have disabled all but them 2 plugins. However I cant seem to find where I would assign the category to the group.

Thanks,

Phil

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Ravi on #3514

Hi Phill,

Please follow the steps and let me how it goes

1. Configuring in Admin section. Please update Blog category for settings under setting menu.
    2. Please find ‘Blog Categories’ menu under group’s manage tab from front-end and assign the category to that group.

Thank You
    Ravi

• Participant
    Phil B on #3515

Hi Ravi,

When I click on to the Groups tab there is no ‘Blog Categories’ for me to select.

Is it possible I’ve set it up wrong?

Thanks

Phil

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Ravi on #3516

Hi Phil,

Please Visit Group(Any group), Then click on its Manage Tab. Under Manage, you will see a tab called “Blog Categories”. If you don’t see it, Please click on the settings tab and at the top of the group settings page, you will see the option to enable/disable Blog Categories. Please make sure it is enabled. Once it is enabled, the Blog Categories will appear there.

Please do let me know if it works for you or not?

Thank you
    Ravi

• Participant
    Phil B on #3519

Hi Ravi,

Thank you very much. I’ve found it now! one last question.

I notice when posting a new blog, I can tick the category I want. If I disable the taxonomy in the Blog Categories, will it automatically post to that category or will it just be uncategorized?

I just want to make sure that they can only post in that group.

Thanks

Phil

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Ravi on #3521

Hi Phil,

If you disable the taxonomy. Post will be post to uncategorized category. But by doing custom code we can create post in any particular category.

Thank You
    Ravi

• Participant
    Phil B on #3524

Hello again.

That may be a possibility then. Would this be a paid service? or is it a quick fix?

Thanks,

Phil

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #3534

Hi Phil,
    Ravi will be away for the weekend. I will post the code tonight.
    It is a quick fix and not any paid service.

Thank you
    Brajesh

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This topic is: not resolved