BuddyDev

Search

[Resolved] Group tabs pro – "The link you followed has expired." error

• Participant
    Level: Initiated
    J on #27309

Hi,

I purchased the BuddyPress User Profile Tabs Creator Pro but I’m not able to solve this issue.

I’ve created a new group tab “Join” on public groups to guide users to join the groups to see content. I want to keep groups public (to display group photo & description for SEO but do not want any of the tab content to be visible for non-members). All other tabs have been hidden from non-members using the same plugin (this hiding aspect is working fine).

The new “Join” tab works shows for non-members only when its marked as default tab but it does not work for members/admins and throws “The link you followed has expired.” error (when the tab is marked default). If the tab is not marked default then it throws a 404 page for non-members but starts working for members.

I have played with all settings and also did a full theme/plugin conflict. Nothing could fix this issue.

How to replicate (only for public groups):
    1) Create a new Tab : Mark visibility of this to “Anyone & Logged-in”
    2) Hide all other group tabs for non-members. I did this by changing Tab visibility for all other tabs to only: “Members Only | Group Admin Only”

With these 2 steps the net result should be that visitors & non-members should not be able to see any of the existing tabs but only the new tab created in step 1. But it does not work that way.

Can you pls look into this?

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #27310

Hi J,
    Thank you for the post.

This is an expected behaviour.

You are copying an expirable url and using it for a tab. The url expires and that’s why this message is shown.

In case of BuddyPress/WordPress, any url that contains nonce will expire if a user loges in/logs out or a different user accesses it.

These are not for reuse. The group join link is not a static link, It uses nonce and that’s why you are seeing the error. There is no workaround.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    J on #27322

Thanks for the response Brajesh.. Just so I understand this better;

I’m not placing any urls/shortodes inside the new tab. The new ‘Join’ tab only has text “Please Register/Login & Join this group to access content. Tabs are hidden for non-members.”

The behavior I’m expecting is
    1) Non-members see the Join tab and no other tab
    2) Members see all other tabs except Join tab.

With the “Tab Visibility” & “Enabled for” settings of Group Tabs Pro this seems to be achievable but I’m not able to achieve this behavior.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #27328

Hi J,
    Thank you for clarifying.

It makes sense. I am assuming that the group becomes inaccessible to the non logged in user? The reason is A group page or User page needs a default component to be available.

You will need to set a default component which is available/visible to the visitor. In that case, It will work.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    J on #27330

You got it..Yes the group becomes inaccessible if the new tab is not marked default.

The new “Join” tab works shows for non-members only when its marked as default tab, but when marked default it does not work for members/admins and throws “The link you followed has expired.” error (when the tab is marked default). If the tab is not marked default then it throws a 404 page for non-members but then starts working for members.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #27331

Hi J,
    Thank you.

Can you please edit one of the existing tabs say home or members) and mark them as default. It may work(though it is not guaranteed as the default is picked based on order).

• Participant
    J on #27333

Hi Brajesh.. tried it. Still the same behavior as above.

I also tried enabling the visibility of the new tab to all (members & non-members) and made it default. This should hide the other existing tabs from non-members and show all tabs (including Join) to members.

This didn’t work either. It still throws the “The link you followed has expired.” error for logged-in users

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #27334

Hi J,
    Thank you for the reply.

Your last configuration should work. If you have set the new tab as default for member/non member, then it should work. Please make sure you have updated the visibility/availbility in the Tab/sub tab both section.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    J on #27343

Hi Brajesh..Tried it. It works only for non-logged in users. Same error msg as above for logged-in users, even for Admin.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #27359

Hi J,
    Can you please provide me access to the site and temporary admin credentials. It’s strange behaviour.

Regards
    Brajesh

The topic ‘ [Resolved] Group tabs pro – "The link you followed has expired." error’ is closed to new replies.

This topic is: resolved