BuddyDev

Search

Groups with Forums, Joining Groups and Group Descriptions

• Participant
    Level: Master
    Mike (DesignServe) on #26173

Hi Brajesh,

I really shouldn’t be saying that I’m new to Buddypress and Bbpress by now. The reason I still feel new, I think, is because I came to WordPress, Buddypress and Bbpress at the same time. I think that is the reason I struggle to understand which feature comes from each of them sometimes. Anyway, I hope you can help me to understand a few things and to make some changes (whether they are big or small I’m not sure).

GROUP FORUMS
    I wanted Group forums so that when a user gains a Member Type from your plugins they are automatically added to a Group and its Forum. It works well and I like it.

However, I didn’t like how the display of the Forums got laid-out with “Group Forums” as a ‘category’ with sub-forums because I need the users to be able to read the forum description at the top level. Therefore, I changed my Group Forums to display at the top level. In the backend it says that this is not recommended. Can you say why? Is it only because of the potential slug clashes?

‘JOINING’ FORUMS (or Groups)
    In my Group Forums, users can’t post unless they join the group. I suppose that is intended behaviour but I would like something diferent, if it is possible.

1 – Best option for me – Is it possible to keep the behaviour I described above (adding Member Type joins them to Group and Forum) but to still allow any member to post in any forum, including group forums?

2 – If that is not possible, is it possible to change the forum message from “YOU CANNOT CREATE NEW TOPICS” and “YOU CANNOT REPLY TO THIS TOPIC” to “Join this Group to post a Topic or Reply [JOIN BUTTON]”? The messages “YOU CANNOT….” if offputting, it leads users to think they are not supposed to try.

GROUP DESCRIPTIONS

I like Buddypress Nouveau and I’m using that now (I think it has been improved recently). On the Groups page, such as on the following link, the Group descriptions are randomly truncated, it doesn’t make much sense:

https://technicskeyboard.com/groups/

I need to show the entire description, do you know a wy to do it please? If I can’t enable it I’ll have to change back to Legacy so that my users can see the whole description which is a shame because I’m enjoying Nouveau.

Many thanks,
    Mike

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #26176

Hi Mike,
    The reason it is not recommended is it allows you to separate non group forums with normal forums. I do not see any other reason.

1. Please try using this code and let me know if it works or not?

/**
     * Grant permission to all for group create topic/replies.
     * @param bool $can can?
     * @return bool
     */
    function buddydev_allow_all_members_forum_permission( $can = false ) {

if ( is_user_logged_in() && bp_is_group() ) {
    		$can = true;
    	}

return $can;
    }

add_filter( 'bbp_current_user_can_access_create_topic_form', 'buddydev_allow_all_members_forum_permission', 11 );
    add_filter( 'bbp_current_user_can_access_create_reply_form', 'buddydev_allow_all_members_forum_permission', 11 );

Regards
    Brajesh

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This topic is: not resolved