BuddyDev

Search

[Resolved] Having problems with showing BuddyBlog posts in activity feeds

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #432

Hi Rojo,
    I have looked into it.

1. There is a problem with that way featured images are handled in BuddyBlog, they get attached too late and by that time the activity recording is already complete, so including the Featured thumbnail will require some other trick, I just wanted to know if this is very important for you or not?

I was able to get the title etc like normal post.

You have a typo in your code

add_post_type_support( 'blog_post', 'buddypress-activity' );

That should be

add_post_type_support( 'new_blog_post', 'buddypress-activity' );

Please check after that, If I am still mistaken, Please add 2 screenshots showing the difference between front end post and backend post.

• Participant
    Level: Enlightened
    Rojo on #445

Hi. Thanks for the reply.

There is a problem with that way featured images are handled in BuddyBlog, they get attached too late and by that time the activity recording is already complete, so including the Featured thumbnail will require some other trick,

That’s what someone else that looked into this said — that the order of how things are being triggered is what’s making it not work correctly. Unfortunately I only had this person’s help for a limited time, and he could not figure out a solution while he was with me.

I just wanted to know if this is very important for you or not?

It’s VERY important.
    Like I mentioned, my entire BuddyPress site revolves around the activity feed (as many BuddyPress sites do). The activity feed mentions need to be distinct — otherwise there’s no point in having them. And if you don’t have them…then how do people know about new things that have been added?

You have a typo in your code

I didn’t write this code, but others helped.
    I’m not sure it was a typo, though. I changed it to your version (new_blog_post), but then the activity didn’t show up at all after publishing! I changed it back to “blog_post” and now it shows in activity again.

However, this is what it looks like when publishing from the front end:

As you can see, it’s very generic and boring. If there were a bunch of these type of activity posts in a row, you would not be able to distinguish any of them from each other — and no one would want to have to click through all of them to see if there’s something of interest to them or not. In reality, the typical behavior of most users would probably be to just ignore them all. And if that happens…why have the mentions at all?

If I publish a BuddyBlog post through the back end, however, then I get an activity post like this:

Now THAT is way more interesting, no? It gives the members some context at least.
    It’s showing an excerpt (instead of title which I was hoping), but that’s fine. (Title AND excerpt would be even better).
    As long as it’s SOMETHING, as well as the featured image, then that would make it perfect. This gives people an idea of what the post may be about, and gives them a reason (or not) to click on it and find out more.

This version only appears if a post is added in the back end — OR — if an already published post gets “updated” in the back end.
    Neither of which is an option, as members will NOT have access to the backend at all on my site.

If there’s ANY way to allow for a better activity feed mention, then that would make adding the BuddyBlog function worthwhile! I also think others who use this plugin would benefit a lot from this.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• This reply was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by Rojo.
    • This reply was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by Rojo. Reason: fixing typos
  • Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #457

Hi Rojo,
    Thank you for the detailed reply. I will try to get it done this weekend and will get back to you.

The reason, It is not happening is we do not create post prior to the form submission. I dashboard the post object is created as soon as you visit the new post screen, I am going to look into some way to address it.

• Participant
    Rojo on #475

Thank you, Brajesh – it is much appreciated!!!

• Participant
    Rojo on #522

Hi again. Just checking in on this.
    We’re currently determining whether or not we should continue with the member blogging feature, as we think having it will be pointless if people end up ignoring the generic activity posts that get generated from it.

If the solution seems impossible, please let us know. But if it’s able to be fixed, we may hold off and wait for the solution — as it will be a really great feature to have!!
    Thanks

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #526

Hi Rojo,

I am sorry about the delay. It will take me some time( say a week) before I work on the front end post form plugin. That is the plugin that needs update to make it work. The simple step is create an post when a user visits New Post screen and update that post with the actual content as the use saves.

I am stuck with a project of mine and not able to devote my time on other things. If you can wait for a week, I will get this in. If you do it yourself, please do send a pull request on github.

• Participant
    Rojo on #532

Thank you, it is much appreciated. I will put the project on hold and wait for your solution (as I would not know how to do it myself). It’s an important feature, so it will be worth the wait.
    Thanks again!!

• Participant
    Level: Initiated
    Jon Harvey on #2984

Hi,
    Was there ever an answer to this? I don’t have Buddyblog user blog posts showing in my site’s activity stream. I’m not sure if it supposed to show by default or not. How would I go about adding them?

Thanks.

• Participant
    Rojo on #2985

I never got an answer to this, and we ended up not using the blog feature because the activity mentions were so generic it wasn’t worth it.

I would LOVE for this to eventually work, though…

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #2986

Hi Jon,
    Yes, It is fixed. Can you please open a new topic for posts not showing in the activity stream.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This topic is: resolved