BuddyDev

Search

How to send a message to all users

• Participant
    Level: Master
    Daniel on #16401

Hi,

We are using the plugin “BP Better Messages” for Buddypress.

Now I would like to send a message to all the members, and if I remember well, with the original Buddypress Messaging system there was a box to tick if admin wanted to send out a message to all the users/members, but with the “BP Better Messages” plugin there is no feature like this. Also, if a message will be sent to a user, the user does not receive an email with this Plugin, but we would like that the user gets also an email when receiving a new message.

Might there be a solution you could recommend how to send a message to all the users and to make it work that the users receive an email upon receiving a message with the BP Better Messages plugin ?

We use “BP Better Messages” plugin because first, it has a textbox which is nice and also a big list of emojis, unfortunately, the Buddypress Messaging layout does only show one line for entering the text messages and doesn´t have emojis.

Thank you for your information and your feedback.

Regards,
    Daniel

• Participant
    Daniel on #16403

Yo Hi,

I have found out how to send msg to all users, there is a feature inside BP Better Messages plugin, but unfortunately, the email is not going out to the user, even when in BuddyPress Email settings “send email when receiving new message” is enabled.

Is there a way to activating sending emails to the user ?

Thank you for your help.

Regards,
    Daniel

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #16405

Hi Daniel,
    Please allow me to look into the plugin today. There must be a way.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #16426

Hi Daniel,
    I have looked at it. The plugin does send the mail. It uses cron job to send mail so the mails won’t be instantaneous. They are sent at an interval of 15 minutes.

Please do note that wp-cron is not a real cron, if the site does not have traffic, in that case, It will be sent next time*after 15 minutes) when someone visits the site.

If it is not doing that, there is an issue with email delivery.

Is your other emails(registration/normal message) are working?

• Participant
    Daniel on #16461

Hi Brajesh,

Thank you for your prompt reply and apologies for late answer.

Yes indeed it sends the emails out the to users, that’s cool.

Only to my private username it does not send the email, I think my private user account is corrupt, as I have tested to send an email from admin and I have not received an email. But then I have tested to send email from admin to another dummy user and the email was sent out.

Thank you for the clarification as it is nice to know how the system works.

Thanks again.

Regards,
    Daniel

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #16485

You are welcome.

Please be aware that using BP better Message will cause a lot of stress on database(too many queries per page in the current version).

• Participant
    Daniel on #16507

Hi Brajesh,

Thanks for the input. Does this mean you do recommend to use original BP messaging system instead? The only thing I don’t like on the original BP messaging, is that when entering a message, there is only one line showing and I think it’s nicer when there is a textbox as in BP Better Messaging.

Our member do not use yet to send a lot of messages yet but do you beleive in the future when users start to write a lot of messages it could lead that BP will become overheated to handle the data?

Thank you for clarification as I think we need to find a good and longterm solution.

Thank you.

Regards,
    Daniel

• This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by Daniel.
  • Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #16539

Hi Daniel,
    I too liked the UI of the Better Messages plugin. It has nice UI.

Still, if the site gets moderate traffic, the number of queries it does will be problematic.

If the only thing you need is multiline text area, most probably , It is the theme which is doing it.

BuddyPress uses multiline textarea by default for new message/replies.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Daniel on #18739

Hi,

We are using Better Messages Plugin for writing messages but I have figured out as you have mentioned above that the emails are not going out to the recipient instantly, there is always a big delay of 15min or even a few hours which is not optimal.

Do you think I can just deactivate the BP Better Messages plugin and using normal Buddy Press Messages again or will it now cause problems to the website when deactivating the BP Better Messages Plugin?

Thank you for your reply.

Regards,
    Daniel

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #18782

Hi Daniel,
    You can safely disable it.

It creates same tables as BuddyPress Message component, so there should not be any issue in switching between the two.

Regards
    Brajesh

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This topic is: not resolved