BuddyDev

Search

[Resolved] Idea to protect comments with BuddyPress Profile Visibility Manager

• Participant
    Level: Enlightened
    Thorsten Wollenhöfer on #21533

Hi Brajesh,

Your plugin “BuddyPress Profile Visibility Manager” has the possibility to protect one’s profile. The issue I found is, if I do communication by comments in one’s profile, every reader is able to read the comments I did if he visits the profile of this person. But if the reader visits my profile he cannot read them.

Wouldn’t it be a great idea if I could decide if my comments can be read or not on other profiles?

Please don’t mistake this if I want to participate on a discussion. Or, with each comment I would be able to decide if this comment is determined just for the recipient or the public.

What do you think?

Kindest regards,
    Thorsten

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #21542

Hi Thorsten,
    Thank you.

It’s a great suggestion. What you are looking for activity/activity comment privacy.

Currently, Enabling activity/activity comment privacy is something that can become a bottleneck for even a moderately sized BuddyPress community.

The current activity stream is not well architected for it(and even if it was, using RDBMS for the activity and read time feed building has severe limitations).

That is one of the reasons, we call our plugin profile visibility manager and not the privacy as we only deal with visibility/accessibility of user profile and not the content generated by users(such as blog post, comment, activity, forums topics etc).

In future, I may be interested in exploring limited activity privacy but right now, We are unable to add it as it will limit the plugin or will cause issues for mostly non suspecting site owners.

Whenever we do add privacy, we will have to work for all content generated by the user.

Thank you
    Brajesh

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This topic is: resolved