BuddyDev

Search

[Resolved] Improve text for remote media file/link field

• Participant
    Level: Master
    Richard Foley on #17079

hi Brajesh,

the remote media file link entry field (phew) works well, when one figures out what is meant. I’d suggest a different text as a default tip, instead of “Enter a link”. As this, to me, implies I can enter a link to my profile page where my avatar is, and this will be picked up… I *know* that’s not what you mean, but it’s always best to be clear for befuddled users. I’d suggest:

“Enter a link to a remote media FILE”

Additionally (or even instead of the above), when there is an error the message displayed is “This type is not supported”. What does that mean exactly? The error could be a bit more explicit and explain the “actual file URL” requirement referred to above. Perhaps something like:

“This type of remote media is not supported, please provide a direct URL to an actual file, eg; JPG, PNG, etc.”

The original post for reference: https://buddydev.com/support/forums/topic/mediapress-direct-link-to-file-functionality/page/2/

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #17090

Hi Richard,
    Thank you for the suggestion.

I am certainly going to improve the error message for the link.

Changing placeholder needs more thoughts.

Currently, we support two types of link:-

1. Direct link to a file(http://example.com/file.jpg etc)
    2. Oembed link.

If we go by the above suggestion, It won’t be clear to the user that a url from youtube etc is supported.

Please do let me know if you have further suggestions.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Level: Master
    Richard Foley on #17098

yes, Brajesh, I’d forgotten about the Oembed link. I think the placeholder text is fine as it is. The error message could mention both the two types of link: direct link (jpg, etc) and Oembed. That might make things much clearer.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This topic is: resolved