BuddyDev

Search

Is it possible to store the video in vimeo instead of locally?

• Participant
    Level: Initiated
    Vanessa Law on #21613

I anticipate the video getting very large and causing bandwidth issues. Is there a way to have the video from the gallery hosted on vimeo instead of locally?

As an example, the vimeography plugin and vimeography upload plugin do something similar to this, but they lack the deep buddypress integration you have.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #21615

Hi Vanessa,
    Thank you.

I agree with you about this. Using vimeo will have another advantage of processing the file for html5 player. We won’t have to worry about various file formats.

I will love to explore this integration for a future addon. I am not sure if this can help you in current project but I am putting high on our list of todos for MediaPress.

PS:- hen are you going live with the site? Or is it live already. Just getting an idea.

Thank you
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Vanessa Law on #21616

We are currently in beta on the site, but would be happy waiting a month for Vimeo support before going live.
    Our host is concerned about our bandwidth usage already.

This would be a fantastic paid add-on

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #21620

Thank you. We can certainly have it by the end of April.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Vanessa Law on #21623

That would be amazing.

One thing to consider is ensuring that videos uploaded aren’t visible to vimeo users (there’s a setting for this in vimeo api I believe), as well as the organization structure to use (perhaps separate albums per user?), and how deletion of video will work

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #21628

Thank you Vanessa.

We are going to explore the Vimeo API and we will have all the options like you have specified.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Vanessa Law on #21629

Awesome thank you!
    I also wanted to share some feedback with you from a member – our legacy photo system was running on rtMedia, and we’re testing MediaPress photo gallery side by side with rtMedia. They said they LOVED the new photo gallery so much more.
    Great work! Keep it up!

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #21631

Thank you. That is an awesome feedback for us 🙂

• Participant
    Vanessa Law on #23914

Hey,

Just curious if you’ve had a chance yet to implement this?

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #23922

Hi Vanessa,
    we did explore the Vimeo API. It is implementable.

At that time, Their membership cost(lowest was $240) so we decided to not work on it. MediaPress does not generate much revenue for us, so we were not in a position to do that.

I have checked again today and I see that there is a Plus membership which can be purchased monthly. That makes it feasible for us to test.

Please check back with us in 2 weeks. We should have this plugin available.

Thank you
    Brajesh

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This topic is: not resolved