BuddyDev

Search

Is switching Theme easy with BuddyPress and MediaPress

• Participant
    Level: Master
    Daniel on #34961

Hi guys,

I am planning to switch theme, and I wanted to ask if this is easy to do with BuddyPress? Can I just install and select the new theme and everything will remain the same? Or is there some important issues to take in account for BuddyPress and MediaPress before proceeding? Do I need to firest deactivate all the BP and MP plugins and after switching activate one by one?

Thank you for your assistance on this matter.

Many thanks.

Regards
    Daniel

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #34974

Hi Daniel,
    Thank you for the question.

I do not see any reason for a theme change affecting much. It will have impact on your site’s appearance and experience but should work fine.

No content will be lost. Whenever you switch a theme, Please make sure it is compatible with BuddyPress. MediaPress is compatible with all BuddyPress themes(it will not work when using Youzer though).

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Daniel on #34976

Hi Brajesh,

That’s great news. Thank you for your input, then I can install the new theme and give it a try with no worries.

Regards
    Daniel

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #35005

Hi Daniel,
    You are welcome.

Please do let me know how it all worked.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Daniel on #35017

Hi Brajesh,

Thanks, I am preparing to install the new theme. Just I wanted to ask you if I will do a Demo import, then some files will get overwritten right? Would you recommend to do a Demo import? I am unsure since I have received this message from the Theme developer:

“Note: Demo import is always recommended for fresh installation only, it will wipe existing data and import at the database level.”

I would like to do a clean install of the Theme and I think a Demo import is better but my concerns are if this method will wipe out some BuddyPress or Mediapress Data? I wanna prevent that user data or any of Buddypress Data will be erased or overwritten?

But I also remember when I used my old Theme, and then the Theme did a new version which was called “Nouveau” then I also had to Install a brand new Theme and do the Demo import and it worked very well, so I guess a Demo import will not erase any of the important data and will do a clean install. What do you think?

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Regards
    Daniel

• Participant
    Daniel on #35028

Hi Brajesh,

I just have received feedback from the Theme Developers and Demo import consists the demo data for websites who didn’t have produced yet any content. Means that if Demo Import is installed it will wipe out the existing data and I wanted to make sure with my that any BP and MP data won’t be wiped out.

So all fine, I’m happy that I have asked, hence I will skip the demo import 🙂

Thanks for your time.

Regards
    Daniel

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #35029

Hi Daniel,
    Yes, You should skip it. It is never recommend for existing sites.

Regards
    Brajesh

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This topic is: not resolved