BuddyDev

Search

Is there any way to identify certain types of members in a BP community

• Participant
    Level: Enlightened
    Dale Reardon on #20813

Hi,

I can’t find a plugin or code to do this but hoping someone might know a way or else I will have to get a quote on some custom work.

I would like to be able to identify to other members, when they are viewing the activity stream, that certain members are admins, moderators, certain BP member types etc. I am open to a certain icon displaying after their username (linked to a page detailing what it means); a tagline or byline underneath their username (some forums let members put a mood message under their username so similar to that); or display a small version of a badge after their username.

Peepso has an addon called VIP icons that lets you identify and pick out certain members, show who super users are etc.

I am looking into Gamipress anyway for gamifying our community and that suite of plugins lets you give members a badge but it only displays on their user profile page not on the activity stream. I spoke to the devs of Gamipress and they said custom coding would be required.

BuddyDev has the great member types pro plugin so maybe you could even add to that plugin to associate a certain icon with a certain member type and display that after the username. More than one icon for some members would also be good.

But it would be best I think to associate icons/badges with members regardless of their BP member type.

Any ideas on how this can be achieved or if custom coding will be required.

Thanks,
    Dale.

• Participant
    Dale Reardon on #20878

Hi,

Have you had a chance to think this over and any potential solution?

Thanks,
    Dale.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #20887

Hi Dale,
    Thank you for the question.

At the moment there does not exists any plugin like VIP icons for BuddyPress. There does exist a verified plugin for BuddyPress but that has limited functionality.

It is something that we can do. It seems to be interesting for many site admins. We will be glad to publish something in next 3-4 months. If you need it quickly and can sponsor a part of the time, our team can do it earlier too.

PS:- For member types pro, we are bringing custom avatar types(in next release this week) and a few more things. The icons can certainly be a feature we will be considering(specially with our own themes).

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Dale Reardon on #20889

That sounds great for improving member types Pro and we use your community theme so fine from our perspective if only works with your themes to start with.

Send me an email or private reply to discuss how much sponsorship would be required.

Having more than one icon per user would be necessary as would like to use for verified status for all members (like Twitter does badly!) and also to identify admin, moderator, group owner etc.

Peepso’s code is GPL so maybe that can give you some ideas?

Dale.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #20894

Thank you Dale.

I will write to you today. Even though PeepSo’s code is GPL, We won’t be using them. Yes, looking at their UI(and specially how the allow assigning icons to users) will certainly help.

I will write back a bit late today.

Thank you
    Brajesh

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This topic is: not resolved