[Resolved] Master plugin/Theme

• Participant
    Level: Initiated
    Kenneth Grooms Jr on #7324

Environment:
    Most updated wordpress
    Running Buddy & BBPress on Community Builder child theme

Hello,

I was just wondering if there was any plan to incorporate the most used or “most downloaded” plugins into a master plugin w/modules or theme?

I wanted my social community to be worth joining and the best so I added a lot of your plugins; currently I’m running 126 active plugins on shared hosting (though the websites still purring like kitten). It does create some clutter though and manually downloading multiple sometimes get repetitive so for future customers and just compression I was wondering if it was up in the air or in development or even possible to sponsor development of it? The Buddydev dashboard looks like a step in that direction. Just an inquiry.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #7329

Hi Kenneth,
    Thank you.

It’s a nice suggestion. Even we have been thinking about it for some time. We will certainly be adding this functionality this year.

Also, in future, we plan to consolidate the tiny plugins to some functionality related broad plugins. That will decrease the number of plugins.

PS:- The number of plugins is not going to cause much issue on performance, It is what they do. The problem here is maintaining the plugin and discoverability and we will be doing something about this this year.

Thank you
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Level: Initiated
    Kenneth Grooms Jr on #7331

Oo that sounds great! Haha yeah thanks the guy i hired to optimize my site kept complaining about the number but everything was fine in P3. Thank you for all your hard work if there’s ever a beta count me in as an automatic volunteer. I’m always ready for new features and I’ll just use them on the staging site.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #7339

Thank you. Will certainly do.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Level: Enlightened
    Nick on #39019

Did this feature ever get developed? I just started using BuddyDev plugins today, but am almost ready to give up on them because I don’t want to download and re-upload 40 plugins, as well as have 40 more entries in my Installed Plugins list.

Thanks!

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #39020

Hi Nick,
    Thank you for the question.
    I am sorry that you are having trouble with it.

We did consolidate some of our premium plugins based on functionality. We haven’t consolidated our free offerings yet.

One of our upcoming plugin for activity further consolidates all activity related plugins into one.

This is an ongoing process and we have been deprecating the plugins we consolidated into single unit.

For the time being, Do you need all 40 plugins? If not, Please install the ones you need. You may also use FTP for installing the plugin and then bulk activate them.

This year the plugin installer will be available (around October) and it will only need a valid key to install plugins from your site’s dashboard.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Level: Enlightened
    Nick on #39021

Thanks for the quick reply!

I’m not sure if I need 40, but I’m currently looking at about that many. Even if it is 20, it is still quite excessive. Yes, I’ll have to use the bulk unzip and bulk upload via FTP option.

I’m glad to hear that there is a plugin installer in the works and will look forward to using it when it is ready.

Just to clarify, when you deprecate a plugin, is it removed from the website? I just want to make sure that all of the ones I am considering are still current. Thanks!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by Nick.
  • Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #39023

Hi Nick,
    Thank you.

We will prioritise the bundling of similar plugins a bit more. We also want to get rid of a lot of plugins as maintaining and testing them is a regular huge time taking for us. consolidating will help us too.

When we deprecate a plugin, it stays on the site but does not receive any update. We are working on a deprecation policy where we will publish a list of plugins being deprecated, their replacement/migration strategy and a timeline(may be 6 months) till we keep the plugins updated. It is still in planning stage as we want to drop atleast 50+ plugins in favour of limited number of consolidated ones.

The deprecated plugins get hidden from normal list and searches but if you have used them in past or they have been linked form some other page, they remain accessible.

Regards
    Brajesh

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This topic is: resolved