BuddyDev

Search

Mediapress main plugin – Gallery

• Participant
    Level: Enlightened
    Thorsten Wollenhöfer on #18546

Hi Brajesh,

Two points. I’m translating your main Mediapress plugin.

1. I can activate Gallery for groups in backend. Wouldn’t it be better if I can activate/deactivate galleries within the group creation process or group administration additionally?

2. When I am on my profile and click Gallery I’ll see the quantity of tabs I created. When I click a tab I cannot see which tab is activated. All tabs have the same color.

Can you check this please?

Best regards,
    Thorsten

• Participant
    Thorsten Wollenhöfer on #18549

Hi Brajesh I found some issues:

1. I cannot delete single images, only the hole gallery. This is not very useful.

2. The usability isn’t clear, because I click on a gallery and the gallery opens with one image in lightbox. After this I have to click for the next image but do not have an overview. For me the gallery is like a folder. After clicking I’ll see all images within the folder, when I click on an image the image opens and I can delete, edit etc. on each state if I’m the owner.

Your competitor rtMedia has a very good usability and design. I suggest to look what they do and after this build it better.

Best regards,
    Thorsten

• Participant
    Thorsten Wollenhöfer on #18550

One more issue:

Within your translation file on line 364 you have the code %s added a new <a href="%s">%s</a>. In German it is %s fügte ein neues <a href="%s">%s</a> hinzu.

The result for the url is use of small letters, e.g. photo. In German I get “foto” but in German we’ve to write it upper case at the beginning like “Foto”.

Can you check this please?

Best,
    Thorsten

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #18554

Hi Thorsten,
    Thank you for the feedback.

I beg to disagree that RT Media has better usability or functionality.

It may be because you have been using RT Media for so many years that it seems easier/simpler. I will suggest spending some time with both the plugin and re evaluating it.

Why I am assuming the above because the issues you have mentioned are not the issues but unfamiliarity.

1. Group option on Create/group settings Page:- It is already there. You need to enable it in the MediaPress settings.

Please see the screenshot.
    https://i.imgur.com/SyP80zM.png

2. When I am on my profile and click Gallery I’ll see the quantity of tabs I created. When I click a tab I cannot see which tab is activated. All tabs have the same color.

Is it about the Audio, Video, Photo filters? If yes, They do need to be added active class. If it is about MY Gallery or Create Gallery, It is most probably the theme. I will be adding the active class to the filters in future.

3. I cannot delete single images, only the whole gallery:- Please visit a gallery and check.

4. The usability isn’t clear, because I click on a gallery and the gallery opens with one image in lightbox. After this I have to click for the next image but do not have an overview. For me the gallery is like a folder. After clicking I’ll see all images within the folder, when I click on an image the image opens and I can delete, edit etc. on each state if I’m the owner.

In Dashboard, Please visit MediaPress->Settings->Themes and disable lightbox and then click on a gallery and you will have it exactly like you want.

5. Translation issue:- I am looking at it and will get back to you.

Just to point out we are more flexible than RT Media currently. The flexibility comes with a lot of configurations. You might need to fine tune a few things as the defaults may not suit all use cases. If you have been working with RT Media for long, It will take a few hours to get the best out of MediaPress.

There are a few things that I do want to improve(like encoding or activity privacy(may be) and some addons ) but overall, We have more functionality and lightweight code base and if you are a designer(I know you are marketing expert), MediaPress offers unparalleled templating capability and our API for extending is a lot better and simpler.

MediaPress is a tool and with slight fine tuning the settings, you can bend it like you need.

Thank you
    Brajesh

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by Brajesh Singh. Reason: typos fix and some more
  • Participant
    Thorsten Wollenhöfer on #18580
    This reply has been marked as private.
  • Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #18601
    This reply has been marked as private.
  • Participant
    Thorsten Wollenhöfer on #19743

Hi Brajesh,

I have to come back to some issues of your main plugin of MediaPress Gallery.

There is still the lowercase issue of “foto” within the translation area, see my comment https://buddydev.com/support/forums/topic/mediapress-main-plugin-gallery/#post-18550 above.

And please take a look this screenshot of issues I already reported months ago?

https://www.screencast.com/t/R1d5CT6UVJ

It would be great to go on with improving your plugin – thank you.

Regards,
    Thorsten

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #19744

Hi Thorsten,
    Thank you for bringing it back.

I am sorry we haven’t released much on MediaPress in last 1.5 month and hat’s why your old issue is still there. There will be a lot of updates from 5th January onwards and we will be taking on all requests and providing a solution.

For the translation, I will have to add the fix in update.

For the second image, It is related to activity stream. I need some advice from you as a siteowner. As you might have noticed from our other plugin too, we provide either minimal structural css or almost no css to let the elements inherit the styles.

In this case, the activity styles are inherited too. As a siteadmin, how would you like this to be resolved? Should we provide custom styles with the plugin ? Or any other feedback is most welcome.
    Since I am a developer, I know that with 3-4 lines of css I can fix the issue on your site but I am getting a feeling that it is not a pleasant experience for site admins.

Please let me know your suggestion and I will go accordingly.

For the current issue, I can offer a few lines of css if you can provide me a guest login and access to the page(for this one and user contact form both).

Thank you
    Brajes

• Participant
    Thorsten Wollenhöfer on #19748

Hi Brajesh,
    Thank you for your fast response. You know that my goal is to make your plugin the best ever on the market in comparison to the plugins of rtMedia. We already talked about it.

You’re the programer and I the person who checks the usability. A user is only influenced by usability what is sometimes tough for the programer.

You asked “As a siteadmin, how would you like this to be resolved? Should we provide custom styles with the plugin ?”. This is often a good question. rtMedia implemented a css area but all the issues above I mentioned they do not have. So something must be different to your plugin.

I`ll send you the login details as an admin by Email.

Regards,
    Thorsten

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #19750

Hi Thorsten,
    Thank you. I sincerely appreciate your help with making the decisions and adding value to our work here. I also appreciate your contributions with all the translations.

rtMedia include custom stylesheet, we do too but we do with minimal code. Recently, I have been realizing this needs to change. I will be focusing more on the appearance and presentation in the futuer updates.

Thank you
    Brajesh

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This topic is: not resolved