BuddyDev

Search

Mediapress not displaying content previews

• Participant
    Level: Initiated
    Paul Cameron on #16874

I have a coaching website and provide document files (.docx & .pdf) with templates of information to my clients, well as pictures (.jpg, .png). Mediapress was the perfect solution because it protects these documents from users who are not logged into my site, and it was working perfectly until I just moved to a new web host.

I changed my hosting provider to wpengine.com, and now that I’m there the galleries still show up on the pages appropriately, but when users click on a document to view the preview of it or to download it, it just goes to another page where there is nothing there except the page title and navigation at the top. There are no error messages, but the document is not there.

I’m on a single site wordpress site, version 4.9.8, php version 7.0.

I’ve tried resetting the permalinks, and I’ve looked for whitespace as your other posts suggested, but they aren’t working.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #16875

Hi Paul,
    I am sorry for the inconvenience.

It is most probably something to do with the file system path.

Can you please provide me temporary access as a normal user to view one of the galleries. I can get some idea from looking at it.

In the meantime, if possible, Please visit Dashboard->MediaPress->Tools and share me the info.

Thank you
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Paul Cameron on #16877
    This reply has been marked as private.
  • Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #16879

Hi Paul,
    Thank you.

I logged into the site and have tested. It seems like the site is not loading MediaPress template files at all.

1. Is there any plugin(any other plugin) or theme specific change from your previous site?

It seems to me some plugin is modifying ‘the_content’ filter in a way that is making loading template difficult.

Any pointer will help. Please let me know if you can remember any change in plugin/theme(addition of plugin/theme or change).

If not, Please grant me temporary access to admin and I will try to troubleshoot it there.

Permalinks are fine, they are not throwing 404.

Regards
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Paul Cameron on #16880

Unfortunately I just copied the site straight over, didn’t make any changes to the theme, didn’t add any plugins except the wp engine migration plugin. I’ve removed some plugins that I don’t need anymore, but they are unrelated, such as marketpress, and caching plugins. I just changed your status to admin, so you should be able to troubleshoot now. And thank you. I haven’t found any other plugins like this one and would love to use it again.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #16884

Hi Paul,
    Thank you. I have been looking at all the plugins and I am not sure if anyone of them can cause it.

The problem is most probably related to either template caching(page template not being loaded) or something hooking with the_content and replacing our content.

Please allow me 1 more day. I have limited options there as I can not edit any file, so it is mostly I am trying to install and replicate with some of the plugins locally.

Thank you
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Paul Cameron on #16897

Thank you Brajesh. I’ll also check in with the support team at wpengine to see if their caching might be causing it. I removed all my own caching plugins from the site since wpe provides it.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #16898

Hi Paul,
    Thank you.

I have looked into the gallery templates and here is what I see.

We are filtering on the_content to setup content for actual output. It checkes if we are in the main query loop before setting up filters

Possible reasons:-

1. There are multiple WP_Query query on that page and the actual view is not using main query.
    2. Or something is modifying the way ‘the_content’ filter is used.

Possible solution:-

A simple solution will be to use the page.php and create a template file for the sitewide gallery. That way, It won’t even need the fallback and will work.

I can create it for you if I can get access to the theme.

Thank you
    Brajesh

• Participant
    Paul Cameron on #16904

That would be great if you could, were you able to get the admin login I sent you? Does that give you the access you need?

I’ll be honest that I’m not sure what the page.php is, and if you create a template file for the sitewide gallery, would that only work for that one gallery? I’ve got lots of instructional guides throughout the site in different galleries available to different membership levels. Will this be something I can recreate for each one? And if they update the theme on me, will that lose everything? I don’t have a childtheme created.

• Keymaster
    (BuddyDev Team)
    Brajesh Singh on #16907

Hi Paul,
    Thank you.

1. Templates are the general way to layout a page and it’s content. You won’t need to create them for individual gallery. One template file will work for all sitewide gallery(contents are dynamic).

2. We can put it in the child theme. That way, It will be safe in future theme updates.

3. I will need access to your theme to create a template file. I was a able to look around the theme/plugin settings but using my account, I don’t have access to theme files yet.

Regards
    Brajesh

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This topic is: not resolved